Elizabeth and George Clarke Watson

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'S' through 'Z'
warhyudk

Elizabeth and George Clarke Watson

Post by warhyudk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi all

I am trying to find more out about my 3x Great Aunt Elizabeth Watson who married another Watson, George Clarke Watson in 1915. They lived in 1939 at 12 Church Lane, Driffield and George was the Verger and Parish Clerk at this time. I know they are buried in Driffield with the following on their headstone:

In loving memory of GEORGE CLARKE WATSON/ passed away April 11th 1950 aged 61 years/ Also his dear wife ELIZABETH
WATSON/ passed away 25th April 1983 aged 89 years
Stone vase reads – In/ memory of/ Dad/ G.C.W.

They had two sons - Colin and Stanley according to the 1939 register but I cannot find any details about either son.

Thanks
Richard

Peter6
Valued Member

Re: Elizabeth and George Clarke Watson

Post by Peter6 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:27 pm

WATSON. — April 11, in hospital, aged 61 years. GEORGE CLARKE WATSON (Verger at Parish Church, Driffield), beloved husband of Elizabeth Watson of Church Institute, Driffield. —Service at Parish Church, Driffield, to-morrow (Thursday) at 3 p.m., prior to interment in the cemetery.

Source: Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Wednesday 12 April 1950

Peter6
Valued Member

Re: Elizabeth and George Clarke Watson

Post by Peter6 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:07 pm

The Northern Province Guild of Vergers

Vergers of cathedral, parish, city and country churches in the Northern Province are somewhat dissatisfied with the status of their profession. A recent conference at York was attended by more than 360 vergers - men and women—and it was decided to form an organisation, with the object of gaining the respect of those with whom they came in contact, and obtain more material benefit for the work they perform. In order that the Guild can function, each Diocese has its own branch, with representatives on the provincial committee; these branches, in turn, are divided into rural deanery branches, which are the real live part of the Guild. It is arranged for the members of these branches to meet at least four times a year for friendly discussion.

A second object is the formation of benevolent fund, by means of which is hoped that vergers who, after many years of service, have really got beyond the execution of their duties, may be to some extent provided for.

The Harthill Rural Deanery have formed a branch, of which the Rev. Canon Sharrock is President, and the Rev. J. Hughes, vicar of Watton, the vice-president. The chairman is Mr F Iveson, verger of Kilham, and Mr G. C. Watson, verger Great Driffield, is the hon. secretary.

Source: Driffield Times - Saturday 15 April 1933