REUNION 1961-1966

A new forum for those school day memories
I Leslie

REUNION 1961-1966

Post by I Leslie » Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:36 pm

Anyone interested in having a reunion for the years 1961-1966 please get in contact, it will probably be towards the end of the year depending on numbers.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:05 am

Can you organise another reunion please?

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:47 pm

quote:Originally posted by plook
Can you organise another reunion please?

Why not do it yourself?

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:08 pm

I wish I could.

grinwolf

Re: REUNION 1961-1966

Post by grinwolf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:32 pm

It is very interesting to see people refering to reunions, but they seem to be a bit hard to get off the ground; I should imagine the older the year you are refering to , the more difficult it gets. People become older less able because of ill health, bad memory or just can't be bothered!

I went to Driffield county secondary school between 1960 & 1966, and I believe these to be the last few years of the "old school."
Gaffer Dukes retired round about then, and the new breed of modern headmaster appeared as John Harrison.

Gaffer dukes ruled with an iron rod - he would not get away with his strict disipline today.

There were teachers particularly science tachers who were bullies. Who remembers "Stobbsie?"I believe underneath that tough exterior was a fair, kind and compassionate man.
Mike Windas was another bully - hitting a pupil on the back of his head with a heavy book was a pleasurable thing for him I am sure.

During that period of the sixties there were some very good teachers, strict but fair - John Hoffman(alas passed away during term time), Cyril Kitchen,
Herbert Wingrave, Gordan Sissons, "Gunner Ralph," Mr. Taylor Deputy Head - a very sriict disiplinerian, a first class maths teacher, very fair and with a good sense of humour. Rex Burfield, Michael Parker, Derek Wray. All these of course were teachers at the Boys school before co - ed kicked in.

Is there any one out there with similar memories?

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:31 am

Yes I remember these people from the Girls School- Miss Tock the Art Teacher; Mrs Bratby PE teacher; Miss Shepherdson the tone deaf Music Teacher; Miss Uncles the French Teacher; Miss Doolie gardening; Mr Allen Science and Mr Ray Allen; Mr Dodds Maths; Mrs Hoffman-nasty woman; Mrs Oldridge -Domestic Science; Miss Howse another nasty woman; Miss Perry Human Biology an excellent teacher nice kind person she left and went to New Zealand if there is anyone out their that knows her; Miss Brown Head Teacher and maths.
The people that taught me the most was Mrs Bratby that it was Okay to have a sense of fun; Miss Perry who taught me that I could do whatever I wanted, so I did! For girls at the time expectations were not great after you left school it was the shirt factory, sack factory, Woolies, a secretary or child care, any further training ensured that your friends had money and that you had none- many of my school friends went for the money. Most of all I learnt to survive.
Please organise the Reunion before we all pop off!

SueG

Post by SueG » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:27 am

Mr Dodds was our English teacher. Mrs Horner taught Maths. Miss Robinson was Domestic Science. Mrs Aldred (Spitty) was Needlework. Miss Brown was head and Miss Coward was deputy. Alll the others I remember except Mrs Oldridge. There was also Gaffer Flowers - History.
Sue

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:40 am

Sorry meant Mrs Aldridge I liked her does anyone remember Mr Smith he taught RE every lesson he would start preaching waving his hands about, frothing at the mouth a nutter. I skipped his lessons for a term and had to go to see Mr Taylor who said he wasn't afraid of slippering a girl! Miss Coward and her twopences! read out at assembly-didn't know what that was about till I was 14 yrs! On the whole I hated school didn't learn much except how to survive, my last year was coeducational some lads in my class were dickheads and by what I have seen still are. On the day I left school we had to sing "Lord Dismiss us with thy Blessing," some people were crying-I was jumping for joy- free at last! From that day to this I never looked back. The school years are the best of your life- not for me. Though I hated school I would still love to meet up with all the people that went through the same system.

SueG

Post by SueG » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:26 pm

When were you at school then plook - I left in 63 and we didn't have Mr Smith- Mrs Hoffman taught RE. I always found her to be Ok and in fact visited her after I left school when she was living in one of the houses by the school gates - Mr Straker the caretaker lived in the other one
Sue

SueG

Post by SueG » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:28 pm

and looking at google earth I can't see those houses - there doesn't seem to be school gates like when I was there
Sue