Failing Hospitals

Despite overwhelming opposition from residents, doctors, businessmen and politicians from across Driffield and the Wolds, The East Riding of Yorkshire PCT now look set to finally axe the beds at the town's Alfred Bean Hospital. Latest Comments
plook
Valued Member

Failing Hospitals

Post by plook » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:31 pm

Well folks guess which hospital has failed?

Scarborough- no supprises there then.

Twelve NHS hospital trusts have been identified as “significantly underperforming” on a range of safety measures according to new research which has ranked every general hospital in England.
The low performance conclusions came despite overall patient care at eight of these trusts rated as good or excellent last month by the Care Quality Commission (CQC), the health service regulator.

The critical research conducted by Dr Foster, a consultancy that collates independent league tables on NHS trusts, also identified 27 trusts with unusually high death rates involving the deaths of 5,000 more patients in the past year than had been expected.

The new data are contained in The Dr Foster Hospital Guide 2009 which contains a league table of NHS trusts across England with their performances rated on patient safety.

Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Scarborough and North East Yorkshire Healthcare NHS Trust and Lewisham Hospital NHS Trust in south London are identified as the poorest overall performers. Basildon and Thurrock, Royal Bolton Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in Greater Manchester are also named by Dr Foster as having the highest mortality rates.

The report includes incidents of 209 foreign objects such as drill bits left inside patients after surgery; 82 incidents where the wrong part of the body was operated on; and 848 patients under the age of 65 admitted with low-risk conditions who subsequently died.
Barbara Young, who chairs the CQC, last night assured Andy Burnham, the health secretary, there was no evidence that direct intervention was needed in other hospital trusts, apart from Basildon, despite the Dr Foster data.

The NHS boss in charge of Basildon and Thurrock had received an 11% pay rise in the past year. Alan Whittle, chief executive of the trust, who was paid £150,000 during 2008-9, also saw the value of his pension pot increase by nearly £500,000 to £1.5m over the same period.

Details of Whittle’s pay emerged after a CQC report found that poor nursing, dirty wards and a lack of leadership had contributed to an estimated 400 avoidable deaths at the Basildon hospital last year.
A CQC spot check last month had uncovered soiled mattresses, poor clinical practices, mould growing in suction machines and out-of-date medical equipment.

Katherine Murphy, director of the Patients Association, a pressure group, criticised a culture of “rewards for failure” within the National Health Service. “Surgeons and doctors who fail patients can be struck off and the same should be true of NHS executives,” she said.

Michael Large, the trust’s chairman, said Whittle’s 11% pay rise reflected the hospital’s higher turnover and greater responsibilities for executives.

Yesterday it emerged that Whittle is having a relationship with Karen Bates, a hospital safety manager who also serves on the hospital’s board of governors.

DF

Post by DF » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:21 pm

As you say it has to be Scarborough - latest from Mick:-(

Anger over gran who left Scarborough Hospital at 2am
COMPLAINT ... Scarborough Hospital
Published Date: 10 October 2009
By Laura Crothers Scarborough Evening News

A FURIOUS woman is asking for a review of Scarborough Hospital's discharge policy after her 81-year-old mother was left to find her own way home - 36 miles away - at 2am.
After being taken to the hospital by ambulance earlier in the evening, grandmother Pamela Mercer was then discharged in the early hours of the morning, and wearing a nightie and dressing gown, was left to make her own way to her home to Helmsley.

The elderly patient, who had gone to hospital suffering acute pain due to a kidney infection, ended up paying £40 for a taxi home.

Mrs Mercer's daughter Lesley Wray, who works at Scarborough's Probation Service, said she cannot believe the way her elderly mother was treated.

She said: "I could not believe she was just turfed out like that, especially at that time in the morning. It is just disgusting.

Speaking about Mrs Mercer's discharge, a spokesman from Scarborough and North East Yorkshire Healthcare NHS Trust said: "As this patient was medically fit to return home and was able to make an informed choice about her discharge, choosing to go home in a taxi, she was discharged

Mick Pilling writes:

I would like to see better arrangments for Patients & will be taking this up with Chief Executive Richard Sunley at our next meeting on Thursday 10th December 2009

An all too familiar story that has been going on for sometime, in fact years, I have had meetings with Chief Executives Alison Guy, Christine Green, Iain McInnes & Richard Sunley on the way that patients are discharged in the early hours to find their way home, it is quite appalling to send a patient home in their night attire, this can range from the young to the very elderly. The problem stems from when you are picked up as a patient in an Ambulance that has been called because you are ill, once in the ambulance you become a patient of (YAS) Yorkshire Ambulance Service, when you arrive at the Scarborough Hospital and are signed over you then become a patient of the hospital until you are discharged, you came by ambulance, you now have to find your own way home? There should be a much better procedure upon discharge.
I firmly believe that the Scarborough Hospital Trust should give this type of discharging of patients a closer look and an investigation. Would they like their own families to be treated in this terrible way. The only person to have done anything about the above was Ms Alison Guy who laid on transport for this type of scenario, good at the time but no other chief executive has dared to do the same, mind you Alison was and could be very understanding.

Once you call a Taxi from the Scarborough NHS Hospital to take you home beware; it can be very expensive and can cost in the region of between £25.00 & £40.00 depending upon where you live, to some patients who are on Income Support, Pension Credits or Low Income this can be very costly, so be aware.
It is much cheaper if you can contact a friend or someone in your family, so try to make some kind of arrangement whilst you are at the hospital; please don't get caught out some times this can be very embarrassing.

Regards Mick Pilling fighting for a better NHS for all

Mick Pilling (Chairman)
Save Bridlington Hospital Campaign Action Group
12, New Pasture Close,
Bridlington.
East Yorkshire
YO16 7NT
E-mail: mickpilling@btopenworld.com
Tel: 01262 671926 Mobile: 07817 620280 NOTE: New Mobile Number

Keeping you up-to-date with Bridlington Hospital Issues
Were Fighting for Bridlington Hospital it's your Future

mav

Post by mav » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:03 pm

i was in berwick on holiday when i fell and damaged my ribs.
a ambulance took me 60 mile to Ashington hospital close to Newcastle. on discharging me i was asked were i wanted to go to?
The hospital had its own car and i was taken 60 mile back to berwick to finish my holiday. all this at no cost to myself.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:55 am

Hope you are OK Mav- thats what most decent hospitals do but, not Scarborough.

mav

Post by mav » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:17 am

hi plook, thanks for asking. yes i am fine now.
it is 26 year since i was last in Driffield but do they still have there accident and emergency hospital?. The more money we throw at the NHS the worse it seems to get.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:20 am

The Driffield and surrounding area is served badly. Bridlington got a new hospital after many years and was passed to Scarborough Hospital Trust who immediately started to run it down, moving maternity and coronary care to Scarborough. Driffield had the East Riding General Hospital that evolved from the second world war and had wards for the elderly ,male and female surgery an A/E Dept an operating theatre ,X Ray Dept , Pharmacy ,CSSD, Children's ward and attached was the Alfred Bean Hospital which was male and female medical cases.There was a small pathology dept. A clean well run, self contained hospital. Then the nightingale wards put up during the war were closed and the land sold for private housing leaving the Alfred Bean which provided inpatient care which was mostly respite care the A/E closed after 6pm. So if you have a heart attack
you are taken by ambulance to Scarborough, quite frankly if I fond I was heading to Scarborough I would have another or to Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals based at Castle Hill in Cottingham or Acute Care at Hull Royal Infirmary.

Health Care in most cases has improved over the years the worst period was Margaret Thatchers time. It has got better. How ever in the department of health they seem to think that closing one hospital down in Bridlington and building another in Beverley is good value for money. In the mean time whilst they decide upon shall we make Alfred Bean Hospital Driffield an out patient dept or Bridlington Hospital a Poly Clinic the good citizens get carted off to Scarborough Hospital and after their treatment are abandoned. This is when we are trying to reduce our carbon footprint Driffield and areas citizens are going on a mystery trip for hospital appointments. Its a disgrace that local GPs and district nursing teams have to pick up.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Having had an accident whilst abroad I had my first time use of Alfred Bean Hospital on my return. My treatment is on going and I must say all members of staff I have met in various departments have been fantastic!!. ABH is serving an area which is expanding in population. I appreciate all at the hospital have done for me and are still doing. We need a local service like this, to me it's not a debatable issue it is fact. Happy Christmas and all the best for 2010 to all involved in ABH in every aspect. You have my support 110%, we all need a great local service like this. Thank you!!

"Have a great one"
"Have a great one"

DF

Post by DF » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:37 pm

Latest news from Mick Pilling :-

Published Date: 03 August 2010 Scarborough News

THE chairman of Scarborough health trust has called for "more drastic action" following a surge in the number of C difficile cases.
In June the number of cases of the bacterial infection soared to 11, which is almost a third of the cases allowed in a whole year.

Strict hygiene measures, an isolation ward and deep cleaning work has been in place since March, but this has not prevented the surge in cases last month.

Speaking at a meeting of the trust board on Tuesday, chairman Sir Michael Carlisle said: "We seem to have some more virulent strains than other people and may need to take more drastic decontamination action."
Chief executive Richard Sunley added: "June's figures haven't been good, but July is much, much better.

"However we need to keep focused on our antibiotic prescribing policy, improved cleaning and our hand hygiene policy."

New equipment has now been brought into Scarborough Hospital in an attempt to reduce the number of cases of C difficile and other infections, such as MRSA and Norovirus.

Rooms are being decontaminated using a machine which pumps out hydrogen peroxide vapour, which can destroy bacteria, viruses and spores.

David Biggins, the trust's decontamination lead, said: "We have an excellent domestic services department here, but we have a big environment and to rely on manual cleaning is very challenging."

Mr Biggins explained that the vapour sterilises everything in the room and can get into hard-to-reach places, such as the back of electrical equipment.

He added: "We've completed 65 cycles and we've not had one that has failed. We're looking for a kill rate of 100 per cent every time."

However, chief nurse Teresa Fenech explained that the technology, known as HPV Fogging, is not a complete solution to the problem.

She said: "No single factor will eliminate C diff. There will always be patients with it, especially in areas where there is an elderly population."

Mick Pilling (Chairman)
Save Bridlington Hospital Campaign Action Group
12, New Pasture Close,
Bridlington.
East Yorkshire
YO16 7NT
E-mail: mickpilling@btopenworld.com
Tel: 01262 671926 Mobile: 07817 620280 NOTE: New Mobile Number

flower

Post by flower » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:21 pm

talkin don't seem to be sortin it. do you think messages from the grave mite sort it, on a one to one basis of course?