Towse Families

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'S' through 'Z'
Debra Cohig

Post by Debra Cohig » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:35 am

If anyone would like to join our Towsetrees website on myfamily.com, drop me an email and I'll send you a screenname and password. Would love to hear from all our Towse cousins 'round the world. Come meet lots of cousins, look at family photos, histories, family trees. Let's see where you fit into the tree!

Debra Pierce Cohig
mdcohig@aol.com

snayler

Post by snayler » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:49 am

quote:Originally posted by Martin Cross
I have some information regarding the descendants of John Towse, b. Appleton Le Street, 1819, and his wife Mary, b. Rillington, c1814. In particular I have details of the descendants of two of their children, William b. Thixendale c1853, married Hannah Maria Kirby, and John Gatenby Towse, b. Thixendale, 1854, married Mary Ann Botham, b.Hutton Cranswick, c1855.

Hi Martin, my wife's name is Caroline Ann Towse and it seems you are related as John and William Towse are in our family tree.
You can visit our web page at http://srnayler.customer.netspace.net.au/
It's not finished yet and would like to here from you.

Kind Regards

Steve

lizallan63

Post by lizallan63 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Hello. My name is Liz, i am a new member and am researching the Towse family.

My interest started with Hannah Towse born 1777, Wykeham, Yorkshire, who married George Pottas on Nov 23rd 1801, Seamer, Yorkshire. They are my 4x great grandparents. Information taken from a sworn declaration dated 3rd September 1839, gives her father as Thomas Towse of Wykeham, son of Richard Towse of Great Driffield.I believe Hannah's brother William Towse born 1773 Wykeham and died 1834 Ellerburn, Yorkshire, had a son Simpson Towse who emigrated to America.

I have no further information as regards dates and would love some help in putting this line together.
Regards
Liz

kdoc

Post by kdoc » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi, I have John Gatonby Towse in my tree who married a Mary Botham in 1876.The Bothams are my line
Karen

Christina Schofield

Post by Christina Schofield » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:46 pm

My grandmother Annie was the grand daughter of William Towse and Hannah Maria Kirby of Yapham and Hanging Grimston East Yorks.I have a newspaper cutting of William & Hannah Maria celebrating their Golden Wedding anniversry in 1921 at Hanging Grimston.Which shows a large family and names them all.

Jane T

Post by Jane T » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:57 pm

Christina, My Great Great Grandmother was Eliza Towse, brother of William Towse who married Hannah Maria Kirby. I would be very pleased to see the photograph from their Golden Wedding and list of people particularly if this includes Williams brothers/sisters.

William's son Herbert married Harriet Rowntree (at Uncleby Wold in 1902). Harriet Rowntree was my Great Grandma's younger sister (on the other side of our family!). Perhaps Herbert and Harriet and their 6 children are on the picture?

I have various information on William Towse, John Gatenby Towse and Eliza Towse, and their older siblings.

Also, has anyone worked out the link between their father John Towse and David Towse of Thixendale yet?

Martin Cross

Post by Martin Cross » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:00 am

There are a couple of mentions of John Gatenby Towse in these postings. He and his family are in my tree, although the link is a bit obscure,(mainly because of his connections to Flamborough) but I am interested to know if anyone can tell me his connection to the Gatenby family. My reson for wondering is that my wife's grandmother was a Gatenby from North Yorkshire, and it would be interesting to be able to plot a link between us, even if it was through several marriages.

Kind regards

Martin Cross
Brighton

Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Post by Ian Soanes » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Wow!
I was thinking of posting along almost the exact same lines!

I also have John Gatenby Towse (b.1854) in my tree, although the relationship is very distant. And I also have Gatenby relatives. My gt grandmother, Rosina Lawty (1866-1937) was widowed at age 34 when my gt grandfather Arthur Thomas Green (1871-1900) died in Tottenham. Rosina returned to Langtoft, her home village, with two small children and married a childhood sweetheart, Richard Gatenby (1870-1932) in 1902. They moved to Northfield Farm, Huggate-on-the-Wolds where they spent the rest of their lives.

Like you Martin, I would also like to learn about the connection between the Towse and Gatenby families.

Regards,
Ian Soanes
(Kent)
There are a couple of mentions of John Gatenby Towse in these postings. He and his family are in my tree, although the link is a bit obscure,(mainly because of his connections to Flamborough) but I am interested to know if anyone can tell me his connection to the Gatenby family. My reson for wondering is that my wife's grandmother was a Gatenby from North Yorkshire, and it would be interesting to be able to plot a link between us, even if it was through several marriages.

Kind regards

Martin Cross
Brighton

Jane T

Post by Jane T » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:27 pm

I think the link is through Mary Harrison, b1813 at Rillington. Although at this stage I haven't been able to confirm this with hard evidence. John Towse married Mary Harrison in 1843. Mary was born at Rillington in 1813. According to information posted on a website transcribing Rillington marriages, a William Harrison married an Elizabeth Gatenby on 6th Jan 1813. So if William and Elizabeth are the parents of Mary Harrison, this would be the link.

According to the IGI (familysearch) a John Gatenby Towse, son of John Towse and Mary was baptised at Rillington in 1846 - some 9 years before the John Gatenby Towse b. Thixendale talked of on this forum. I have not yet checked Rillington parish records to confirm this.

We also have other Gatenby's in our tree based at Sutton on the Forest from 1790s until 1850s.

Martin Cross
Brighton

snowyborn

Post by snowyborn » Mon May 18, 2009 2:42 am

Through researching the Craven family in and around Thixendale I have some information that may help clear up some things for some of you. My 3rd great aunt (husband's, really) Elizabeth Craven married David Towse in 1851 at the church in Wharram Percy. David and Elizabeth were the publicans at the Cross Keys in Thixendale for many years.

They had 6 daughters and 2 sons. The sons were Robert Towse, baptized in 1852 and John Craven Towse, baptized in 1860, both at Wharram Percy.

Robert married Mary Ann Dales in 1875. John married Hannah Rooks in 1884.

It is this John (John Craven Towse) who is listed as a nephew in the household of John (born abt 1819 in Appleton le Street) and Mary Towse in 1871 in Yapham. I believe that John Craven Towse and John Towse are actually first cousins.

To explain, let's go back to David Towse's parents. His parents were Robert and Ann (Laycock) Towse. This couple had 8 children, the youngest of which was David, baptized in 1821 at Burythorpe. The oldest child was Mary who was baptized in 1801, also at Burythorpe. I believe that it is this Mary who was the mother to John "Towes" baptized at Appleton le Street on 29 Dec 1821. (There's no father listed.)

This would make David the uncle to John Towse (born Appleton le Street) even though they were of the same age.

In the 1861 census John Towse (born Appleton le Street) is age 41 so born about 1820.
In the 1851 census John Towse (born Appleton le Street) is age 30 so born about 1821, listed as an ag lab and publican in Thixendale. (By 1861 David Towse is the publican at the Cross Keys in Thixendale.)

To Tina:

Did you ever get your grandfather Harold's birth certificate? On the 1901 census he is listed as the grandson of John and Hannah (Rooks) Towse. On your list of children of John and Hannah you left out the oldest daughter Alice born in 1886. Hannah brought two daughters into the marriage. Harriet born about 1878 and Elizabeth born about 1880. Both girls are with John and Hannah in 1891. Harriet died in 1898. In 1901 Elizabeth is using the name of Towse and working in Malton. I've always assumed that Harold belonged to this Elizabeth or maybe even young Alice.

To Cheryl Holden:

I see that you had the same question about Harold that I did. Thanks for sharing what happened to Rachel. It's harder to track people when they stray far from home.

To Sylvia and Jane T.:

I think your mystery is solved.

As I first wrote, it's the Craven family from Thixendale and the surrounding area that I'm researching. So if anyone wants to catch me up on the descendants of David Towse and Elizabeth Craven, I'd love to hear from you. You can email me at Lshuey5@comcast.net

Thanks,
Laurie