Towse Families

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'S' through 'Z'
Christina Schofield

Post by Christina Schofield » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:11 pm

Originally posted by Christina Schofield
Originally posted by Martin Cross
I have some information regarding the descendants of John Towse, b. Appleton Le Street, 1819, and his wife Mary, b. Rillington, c1814. In particular I have details of the descendants of two of their children, William b. Thixendale c1853, married Hannah Maria Kirby, and John Gatenby Towse, b. Thixendale, 1854, married Mary Ann Botham, b.Hutton Cranswick, c1855.

Hi Martin,
I have just seen your post I am related to this family. I am the great great granddaughter of William & Hannah Maria Towse I would be very interested in any information you have on them.

Tina

Debra Cohig

Post by Debra Cohig » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:36 am

quote:Originally posted by DanielleB
I am from the Towse branch that moved to Canada in 1818 (John Towse & Mary Woodell). I have traced his family back to a Daniel Towse b.1674 & Ruth Etherington. If anyone has information on Daniel's parents it would be much appreciated.

My line (all England Towse from Garton on the Wolds):
Daniel Towse (1674-1722) m. Ruth Etherington
son Richard Towse (1693-1762) m. Jane Leppington
son Daniel Towse (1734-1791) m. Elizabeth Parker
son John Towse (1779-1863) m. Mary Woodell
family immigrated to New Brunswick, Canada in 1818
son William George Towse (1819-1905) m. Nancy McPhee(McFee?)
family immigrated to Lubec, Maine, USA in 1842
daughter Abigail Towse (1843-1920) m. Nathanial Smith
daughter Adelaine Smith (1872-?) m. Elmer Bell
daughter Mary Bell (1902-1987) m. Sumner Stuart
daughter Martha Stuart is my grandmother.

Pls email me with any info. Thanks!!!

Your email option is disabled....email me at mdcohig@aol.com Have lots of info on the Lubec Towses, including photos and stories! I'll send you an invite to our huge Towsetrees website. Same for any other Towse descendants, we welcome you all.
--Debra

Debra Cohig

Post by Debra Cohig » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:45 am

On re-reading this, I realized---I believe the Bells inherited the Towse homestead when William George and Nancy passed on. The original homestead is now part of Moosehorn Wildlife Preserve, but the Bells still own a beautiful family farm nearby. We visited a few years ago, were warmly welcomed and had a nice talk.

quote:Originally posted by DanielleB
I am from the Towse branch that moved to Canada in 1818 (John Towse & Mary Woodell). I have traced his family back to a Daniel Towse b.1674 & Ruth Etherington. If anyone has information on Daniel's parents it would be much appreciated.

My line (all England Towse from Garton on the Wolds):
Daniel Towse (1674-1722) m. Ruth Etherington
son Richard Towse (1693-1762) m. Jane Leppington
son Daniel Towse (1734-1791) m. Elizabeth Parker
son John Towse (1779-1863) m. Mary Woodell
family immigrated to New Brunswick, Canada in 1818
son William George Towse (1819-1905) m. Nancy McPhee(McFee?)
family immigrated to Lubec, Maine, USA in 1842
daughter Abigail Towse (1843-1920) m. Nathanial Smith
daughter Adelaine Smith (1872-?) m. Elmer Bell
daughter Mary Bell (1902-1987) m. Sumner Stuart
daughter Martha Stuart is my grandmother.

Pls email me with any info. Thanks!!!

Your email option is disabled....email me at mdcohig@aol.com Have lots of info on the Lubec Towses, including photos and stories! I'll send you an invite to our huge Towsetrees website. Same for any other Towse descendants, we welcome you all!
--Debra

borollan

Post by borollan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 am

Hello

I hope I am posting in the right thread

I have in my genealogy a Kenneth Touse / Towse of 34 St Marys Walk S****horpe
the address would have been correct as of 1955

Could anyone confirm that it is indeed Towse from that information, does it match any known families?

(I don't want to go up a blind alley yet again on our family tree, as has happened before with wrong spellings of surnames)

Researching Touse / Towse

dugidee

Re: Kenneth Towse

Post by dugidee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:12 pm

borollan wrote:Hello

Hi there

I believe that your Kenneth Towse is my late uncle, who at one time lived at that address. I saw your post as I am currently researching the Towse line of my own family tree, and I guess that we must cross somewhere? Would be happy to provide more information, and would of course welcome any that you have.

I hope I am posting in the right thread

I have in my genealogy a Kenneth Touse / Towse of 34 St Marys Walk S****horpe
the address would have been correct as of 1955

Could anyone confirm that it is indeed Towse from that information, does it match any known families?

(I don't want to go up a blind alley yet again on our family tree, as has happened before with wrong spellings of surnames)

Mike_T

Re: Towse Families

Post by Mike_T » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Have a look at the history pages on the Thixendale website. Loads of Towses there. Maria Towse, who was the daughter of David Towse and Elizabeth (née Craven) of the Cross Keys, married my grandfather Charles Thornton.
http://www.thixendale.org.uk/history/people/a-z/
Mike Thornton