Emmote Witty's Will

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'S' through 'Z'
brianmulhall

Emmote Witty's Will

Post by brianmulhall » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:05 am

Peter Witty, died May 1534 in Middleton, left a Will in which his heirs and executors were a son, John, and wife Emmote. Apparently Emmote died in 1540, leaving a Will which specified other members of her family, including married daughters. Does anyone know how to obtain a copy of this Will (it did not appear when I tried searching the Index of Wills)? Any hints - or a transcript, if anyone actually has such a thing - would be appreciated.

Brian Mulhall

Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Re: Emmote Witty's Will

Post by Ian Soanes » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:29 pm

I too would love to see a transcript of the wills. I don't have copies but I have a note that they may have been drawn in the names Peter WITTYE and Emote WYTTE.

Hope that helps with the search.

Regards,
Ian

brianmulhall

Post by brianmulhall » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ian. As it happens I have a copy of Peter Witty's Will and made a transcript (not good, as it is hard to read and partly in Latin). The essential information is that it was dated 20 May 1534 and was registered for Probate on 5 June 1534 - as seemed common then, he must have made it on his deathbed! Apart from a few gifts to the Church and to an Order of Friars he left everything to his wife, Emmott and son John, who were the Executors. The names of the three Witnesses were hard to read, but do not appear to have familiar names. My copy is a .PDF file, so I could send it (I may have your email address somewhere, but a reminder would be helpful).

Emmott's is the problem. I think Bernard Witty must have seen it when he compiled the Family Tree you sent me some years ago, for he gives details of the daughters which I can find nowhere else.

By the way, do you have any thoughts on my other query, posted recently?

Regards,

Brian

Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Post by Ian Soanes » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:57 pm

I'll PM you with my eMail address.
Ian