wilson, farmers at Wetwang, Fimber, and Kirby Grindyth

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'S' through 'Z'
cesame

wilson, farmers at Wetwang, Fimber, and Kirby Grindyth

Post by cesame » Mon May 14, 2018 5:47 pm

My father had cousins who farmed at Fimber, Wetwang, and Kirby Grindyth who came to his father's funeral at Fulford, York, c 1935. The farm at Kirby Grindyth was farmed at one time by a Robert Wilson’s who I believe was my great grandfather’s farm. I had an uncle Robert Wilson who farmed at Naburn near York and another William who farmed at Elvington near York.
Can any one tell me more about these branches of the Wilsons. signed Cesame

Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Re: wilson, farmers at Wetwang, Fimber, and Kirby Grindyth

Post by Ian Soanes » Wed May 16, 2018 9:08 am

Wilson is a very common name in East Yorkshire. I have many Wilsons in my family tree – including some 18 named Robert. So it’s really difficult to pin down a particular family without some idea of dates and places of birth, marriage and death, etc.

I’ve had a quick look in the available census records for a Robert Wilson in Kirby Grindalythe and could find only one :–

Robert Wilson, born about 1891 in Scarborough, working in 1911 as a Horseman at Warren House Farm, Thirkleby Warren, Wharram, near Kirby Grindalythe, run by farmer Joseph Baines Owen.

If you can find some more concrete details and post them here, I’ll have another look.

Regards,
Ian