Longbottoms of Driffield

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'J' through 'R'
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Re: Longbottoms of Driffield

Post by Ian Soanes » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:08 pm

As suggested by Peter's posts, Alfred had business connections in Hull.

Extract from:

Directory of Trades and Professions
for Hull, from Bulmer's Gazetteer (1892)

•Longbottom Alfred (L. Bros.); h Driffield
•Longbottom Bros., aerated water manufacturers, 11 Myrtle villas, Holderness road
•Longbottom John Thomas (L. Bros.); h 11 Myrtle villas, Holderness road

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ER ... pha12.html

Ian

Peter6
Valued Member

Post by Peter6 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:13 pm

A DRIFFIELD FIRE

Damage roughly estimated at between £800 an £1,000 was done by fire at Mr Alfred Longbottom, sugar factory, West Promenade, Driffield, early yesterday morning. The fire was observed by Mrs Longbottom and she at once aroused her husband and the other members of the household, and the fire brigade were summoned. Although the firemen worked hard with a plentiful supply of water, the building was destroyed, along with a large quantity of sweets, sugar, and machinery.

Source: Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Saturday 14 August 1920

grinwolf

Post by grinwolf » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:22 pm

There is much talk about Dandilion and Burdock, and nearly as much about Cream Soda. It should be noted that Longbottoms of Great Driffield made a superb Orange Squosh - not matched by any of the Schwepps versions such as Sunfresh, Suncrush or Kia Ora.
Tall glass bottle with a cork - not a long shelf life I would imagine.

My mother would not entertain any other orange but only the unique stuff from Driff. Always bought it from Mrs. Freda Tate's shop and post office at Beswick - this could be another talking point altogether!
Grinwolf.

Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Post by Ian Soanes » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:40 pm

I don't remember the orange squash but I'll never forget the dandelion and burdock. Wish it was still available.
Ian

johnlongbottom

Post by johnlongbottom » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:19 am

Peter6

I really appreciate the "clippings" they add life and veracity to a family tree. The one about the rully accident seems to have two dates the first is 1901 and the second is 1900. The day and the month are the same.
Thank you for your help.

johnlongbottom

Post by johnlongbottom » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:39 am

My Dad always told me that his uncle (who I assume was really his grand uncle Alfred) invented a "cap" for " soda bottles. Something to do with a glass marble. Now, I have researched that invention and his name is not associated with it. Perhaps Alfred was one of the pioneer users of the then new invention. Maybe it was just family bravado. The mention of the orange crush in a corked bottle brought this to mind.
I am really grateful that I found this site and to all of you kind people who are contributing to my family history.
Thank you,
John

Peter6
Valued Member

Post by Peter6 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:00 am

With reference to the rulley accident.

The article I posted is as follows:

York Herald - Saturday 21 July 1900

I don't know about the 1901 date !

Regards,

Peter6

johnlongbottom

Post by johnlongbottom » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:36 am

No worries, Peter6. I appreciate your contributions.
Cheers,
John

kingofthehills1969

Post by kingofthehills1969 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi John
My GG grandfather (John Thomas) was Alfred Longbottom's brother. They were in the mineral water manufacturing business together (Longbottom bros.) and then John diversified into being a confectioner and tobacconist (picture of his shop with his son, Walter, outside - http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/1/NJ ... /GW563H358)
at 311 Holderness Road, Hull.

Pictures of Alfred's (A. Longbottom) bottles are on google images - I'm collecting various types of his bottles. Ginger beer, lemonade, soda, etc. They were using the newly invented Codd bottles (glass marble in the top to trap in the fizz) - kids loved smashing the bottles to get the marbles out, hence the various newspaper articles about kids cuaght stealing from the factory.

Alfred had a patent (no. 376) for 'Improvements in the extraction of simple internal bottle stoppers' (Jan 2 1884). I'm trying to find more out about this.

Really exciting - you can see and hear Alfred in 'The Spirit Of Christmas 1947' British Pathé (start the video at 2:50, ends at 4:06 minutes)
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-s ... /Driffield

Last thing about Alfred I have is a nice write-up about his golden wedding anniversary (in Hull Daily Mail - Saturday 17 May 1930). Send me your email and I can send you the jpeg.

I don't have any photos of Alfred and siblings, or their father John (1831-1886), or his father Thomas (1798- ).

Hope that helps. Keep in touch.
regards
Martin

hallett700

Post by hallett700 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi, my mum is Alfred Longbottoms grand daughter (her dad was William Arthur Longbottom who was Alfred's son, and her mum was Harriet Ethel Longbottom). My mum is in her 80's and has researched loads about the family and has many photos if you want any more details. I remember visiting Victoria Road before her mum moved to The Mount in Driffield. Harriet Ethel died in 1971. If you google Driffield Cemetery there are photos of family graves.
They did make soda and dandelion and burdock and they also had a sweet factory making boiled sweets. Let me know if you want any further details.