Thomas Rooks, Wold Ranger

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'J' through 'R'
trevb

Thomas Rooks, Wold Ranger

Post by trevb » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:45 am

A very long shot this - I'm researching my great great uncle, Thomas (Tommy) Rooks. I have plenty of info relating to his early years from his birth in Pocklington in the 1870s, through his career as farm labourer and petty criminal, and several inglorious spells in different army regiments, ending in the Great War (where he went AWOL at least 10 times). I know he became a Wold Ranger in the Driffield area some time after discharge and he is briefly mentioned a couple of times in Angela Antrim's book on the subject, but I have little other information about his life between leaving the army in 1920 and his death in the former Driffield workhouse in 1969 in his 90s. My mum understandably didn't say much about him!

tremal

Re: Thomas Rooks, Wold Ranger

Post by tremal » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Google Sledmere Forge and The Wold Rangers where he is mentioned

tremal

Post by tremal » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:50 pm

Try Genealogy.Com - Rook Family in Yorkshire,

Peter6
Valued Member

Post by Peter6 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Volume of photographs of convicted offenders (1875-1928)

Commences with an alphabetical index by surname which includes the year that the person was convicted.
p17 Thomas Rooks convicted in 1901

Source: East Riding Archives - Ref: QAP/7/37

East Riding Quarter Sessions Calendar of Prisoners

Prisoners tried on Tuesday 15th October 1901
Thomas Rooks, aged 25, labourer, stealing, Kirby Underdale

Source: East Riding Archives - Ref: QSA/1/41

East Riding Quarter Sessions Calendar of Prisoners

Prisoners tried on Tuesday 19th October 1909
Thomas Rooks, aged 35, labourer, stealing from the person of Thomas Stubbs, Driffield

Source: East Riding Archives - Ref: QSA/1/103

Peter6
Valued Member

Post by Peter6 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:58 pm

THEFT OF MONEY. - Thomas Rooks, labourer, was sentenced to nine months with hard labourer for stealing £3, the monies of R. K. Brown, and also stealing two bottles of whisky, the property of William Warley, Cherry Burton, on August 22nd last.

Source: Beverley and East Riding Recorder - Saturday 19 October 1901

Mike_T

Post by Mike_T » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm

In the 1950s, "Rookey" would sometimes be seen on Woldgate, either in old farm sheds or in a corrugated tin cabin that he made. He usually had a tea kettle going. He would get a few days work from farmers for beer money and live off the land. He said he spent Winter in Scarborough where he had a "girlfriend".

DF

Post by DF » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:29 pm

I remember "Tommy" Rooks as my Grandad, who knew him used to call him. He used to sleep in a makeshift tent on Woldgate not far from where it joins the Rudston to Burton Agnes Road. I used to go picking Brambles there with my Mum and he always spoke to us, whenever we went she would take him some food. This would have been between 1945 and 1950.

trevb

Post by trevb » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:03 pm

Many thanks for your help. I have a copy of Tommy's 'mugshot' and many details of his early life and military career including army papers from 1893, 1900 and 1914-20. The memories of his time on the road after that time are particularly valuable. I had heard he spent winter off the road in a house somewhere, so a girlfriend in Scarborough would fit the bill. There are mysteries about him, such as the two armfuls of tattoos he had, which suggest a spell at sea particularly since at one time he found his way to Carnarvon area where he tried one of his several attempts to join the army under an assumed name. His father was a ne'er-do-well and his grandfather a noted poacher who once begged Lord Melbourne (the PM) for a pardon, so I guess Thomas didn't have much of a chance in life - he would have had all sorts of help these days I expect. Still, despite his varied career he had a long life, the cause of death was carcinoma of the tongue, which suggests he liked the odd drink, a weakness of more than one in his family. Thanks again!