Harper, (Edwin Harper Orchestra) Bridlington

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'A' through 'I'

Postby Tony MacDonnell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:22 pm

I played with and for Edwin Harper.

I this is topic is still alive please let me know.
Tony MacDonnell

Postby Tony MacDonnell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:25 pm

I Played with and for Edwin Harper.

If this topic is still alive please let me know,
Tony MacDonnell

Postby davies01.wanadoo.co.uk » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:02 pm

During the 1950's Ceres Harper and then Eddie Harper performed during the summer season at the Floral Hall in Southport. During this time some of the bandsmen stayed at my Mother's guest house in Manchester Road Southport. As far as I knew Eddie was the son of Ceres Harper and they stayed in an hotel on the Promenade. I met them both and Eddie's daughter too.

The band later became the Eddie Harper Band for the dances but when he played concerts in the bandstand it was listed as the Edwin Harper Orchestra. Our favourite dance tune performed by Eddie was "Bedtime for Drums".

He was a very popular band leader and when he played a drum solo everyone stopped dancing and crowded round the stage enthralled. My husband and I spent very many happy evenings enjoying their music. Were any recordings ever made? If so, I would be pleased to hear of them.

Barbara Davies (nee Shaw)
davies01.wanadoo.co.uk

Postby graham pinkney » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:54 pm

I played with both Ceres and Edwin Harper orchestras for seventeen years.
They were good days.
Graham Pinkney
graham pinkney

Postby DF » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:41 pm

quote:
Originally posted by graham pinkney
I played with both Ceres and Edwin Harper orchestras for seventeen years.
They were good days.
Graham Pinkney

Did you have your own band? I seem to remember the name.
DF

Postby graham pinkney » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:37 pm

After playing with the Harper bands I played with various big bands until I formed my own band. We were resident at Wallis's Cayton Bay for many years before I became a director of the Company. From then on, after the sale of Wallis's, I became Entertainments director for the holiday divisions of Mecca Leisure and the Rank Organisation. I retired to Devon where I still play swing and jazz with musicians and singers in the area.
graham pinkney

Postby pjayne » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi to any of the above people who would like to know more about Edwin Harper.I have just found this site and was most interested to find these posts about my father and his family.
I am Jayne the middle of his three daughters, my sisters are Edwina and Lynda.
pjayne

Postby HvLennon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am

Hi,
I went to school with Lynda, but also remember Marie Harper (a cousin?) who had a coffee shop near the Galleon at Bridlington, this was around the time she was (I think) briefly dating Adam Faith, I wouold love to reconnect with Lynda and or Marie, can you put me in contact wioh either of them, I now live in Australia
Thanks
Hilary Lennon (nee Carr)

quote:
Originally posted by pjayne
Hi to any of the above people who would like to know more about Edwin Harper.I have just found this site and was most interested to find these posts about my father and his family.
I am Jayne the middle of his three daughters, my sisters are Edwina and Lynda.

Hilary
Hilary
HvLennon

Postby Derrick Milson » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:17 am

I played for both Ceres and Edwin Harper during the 1950s. After Ceres's death Edwin took over leadership of the Band(s) and Graham Pinkey played piano there was also a drummer named Tommy Duckworth who also played in the Harper Band on occasions. I was playing for Ceres in the Pit Orchestra of the Spa Theatre when it was flooded following a terrific storm in the February of that year. I emigrated to New Zealand in 2005 and still played in various Bands up to that date.
Derrick Milson

Re: Harper, (Edwin Harper Orchestra) Bridlington

Postby pmeg15 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:38 am

Hi,

I was at Bridlington High School for Girls with Jayne in the 70's. I left in 1974. Jayne was my bridesmaid when I married in 1976. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with her?

pmeg15
pmeg15

PreviousNext

Return to Surnames A-I