Burkill family Middleton on the wolds

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'A' through 'I'

Burkill family Middleton on the wolds

Postby rose oglesby » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:02 am

I am trying to find out information about my maternal grandparents. The only information I know to be true is that they are buried in the churchyard at Middleton on the Wolds.They possibly moved there from York. They lived in Middleton from about the 1900's and their children were born there.They lived at Middleton Hall Cottages, Middleton Road, certainly when my mother was born in 1909. My mother was married at St Andrews church in August 1939. My grandfather Sidney Burkill was a chauffeur who travelled abroad (mainly to the continent) with his employer (Brooksbank family of Middleton Hall) and died in California in about 1923-1925.His body was shipped back to this country and collected from Southampton by the local undertakers to be buried in Middleton. My grandmother Jessie Burkill (nee Schofield) died in Hull but was also buried there in the late 1940's. Her second husband was Charles Soanes but I think that my grandparents were buried close together. I know that their graves are unmarked. I cannot find them on the 1901 census. Does anyone have, or could check the parish records so that I can start my search.Any information about the family would be much appreciated. Does the Roll of Honour in Middleton give any information as I believe he may have fought in World War 1. Also anything about the firm of undertakers-are they still in business-who would have the records? Many thanks. Rose Oglesby

Edited by - rose oglesby on 04 Nov 2002 10:17:59 AM

Edited by - rose oglesby on 04 Nov 2002 10:20:22 AM

Edited by - rose oglesby on 04 Nov 2002 10:41:07 AM

Edited by - rose oglesby on 14 Nov 2002 2:38:52 PM
rose oglesby

Postby Jean Arms » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:34 pm

Hi Rose,

There is a Sidney Burkhill on the roll of honor in Middleton on the Wolds.

You can view the parish registers on microfilm at the Mormons Family History Center nearest to you.

Jean
Jean Arms

Postby d4nnysp3nc3r » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:14 am

Hello, my grandmother Wendy Cooper, previously known as Botterill was the daughter of David Botterill & Margaret Burkill, who was the daughter of Sidney Burkill & Jessie Scholefield as far as i know.

I have been using the 'Ancestry' website to trace my family back as far as i can.

I have been doing a bit of digging and i found a very useful webpage:-'http://clanbarker.com/'.

It traces the history of the Brooksbank family and their employees, including Sidney Burkill.

As far as i'm aware Sidney Burkill was a Chaffeur, Valet & Groom and travelled to New York with Percy A Brooksbank. The webpage details his Birth, Employment to the Brooksbank family, Death, Burial, Spouse & Children.

It details how he was a soldier-servant or 'batman' to Percy Brooksbank during the years 1914 - 1918. It is quite possible to highly likely that him and Percy fought in the Great War.

Hope to hear from you,

Daniel Spencer
Daniel Spencer
d4nnysp3nc3r

Postby plook » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:36 am

try :www.clanbarker.com
plook
Valued Member

Postby Ian Soanes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:22 am

Jessie (Scholefield) Burkill married my great great uncle Charles Soanes in 1933 in Middleton-on-the-Wolds, after Sidney Burkill died in 1924 in the Vanderbilt Hotel, New York.

You might be able to help me with a puzzle:

Dennis A Cooper married Jill Botterill in 1960 and Raymond Cooper married Wendy Botterill in 1962. Can you tell me which of the following children belong to which Cooper/Botterill family?
1961 Nigel
1962 Leslie
1963 Caroline
1964 Susan
1965 Karen
1968 Andrew
1968 Paul
1969 Daren
1973 Louise Marie

Regards,
Ian
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Postby d4nnysp3nc3r » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Dennis Cooper & Jill Botterill's children are:- Nigel, Leslie, Susan, Paul & Louise Marie.

Raymond Cooper & Wendy Botterill's children are:- Caroline, Karen, Daren, Andrew. Wendy Botterill also had another daughter in a previous relationship called Elizabeth.

I'm quite surprised as Karen is my mother (:

Daniel Spencer
Daniel Spencer
d4nnysp3nc3r

Postby Ian Soanes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Many thanks for that Daniel.

I have 13 generations of the Burkill family, dating back to a Thomas Burkill who died in 1582. It's not a complete tree but if you'd like details, send me an email, at xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx [edited - contact failed]

Ian
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Postby brianmulhall » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:52 pm

My interest in Burkills goes back to the 1500s in North Lincolnshire, where there are many branches of the family. I was aware of branches in York (Thomas Burkill, who married Elizabeth Pattison Everett) and in Wakefield (Isaac Burkill, who married Sarah Farrar), but have only followed them as far as about 1860 in York and about 1851 in Wakefield - they diverged from my own family before then. However, if it is the same family I will gladly help with what information I have.

Brian Mulhall
brianmulhall

Postby Ian Soanes » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:19 am

Brian,
Daniel's Burkill ancestors are from North Lincolnshire.
Ian
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Postby brianmulhall » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Strange, Ian, how our families seem to cross yet again! I notice this correspondence was started by Rose Ogelsby in 2002. From other correspondence I think Rose may already have many of the answers she wants - some perhaps via the Winteringham web site.

For those interested in Burkill genealogy a good part of the family - my ancestors at least - came from Winteringham and neighbouring villages in N.W. Lincolnshire. Various members later ended up in Grimsby, Hull, York (as in my previous note), Wakefield (again as before) and elsewhere. The Winteringham web site <www.winteringham.info/Genealogy> is brilliant, for they have transcribed the Parish Registers, Winteringham MIs and other documents and published them on the web. At one stage I borrowed Microfiches of the Registers from the Lincolnshire Family History Society (the Winteringham project was at the time only partially finished) and can vouch for the accuracy of the transcripts. I also used other fiches to check the records of neighbouring Parishes, so I have a fairly extensive record of the family (366 Burkills, from 1506 on), though certainly far from complete.

Brian
brianmulhall

Next

Return to Surnames A-I