Ireland Family - Weaverthorpe

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'A' through 'I'
peter

Post by peter » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 pm

Yes I have the same problem.

The site admin needs to explain why we cant send emails to each other.

Peter

ktnicholson

Post by ktnicholson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Hello Peter

I too am related to the Irelands fron Weaverthorpe/Wold Newton and have found your info. very usefull already. Could you tell me how you know the name of the pub that Richard Ireland 1732 had in Wold Newton. I have found local records with Richard and his family and that he was a liciencee but wondered how you knew the name of the Inn.

I live in the East Riding of Yorkshire, just down the road from these villages. I havr traced my family back to George Hunter Ireland 1820 from Wold Newton ( My 3rd great grandfather)

Hope this reaches someone!!!

Karen

quote:Originally posted by peter
I am researching my branch of the Ireland family from Yorkshire. Richard Ireland born Weaverthorpe 1732 owned the Red Lion Pub in Wold Newton from the mid to late 1700's. One of his son's Michael also had a son Michael who went to Canada in 1819 with his brothers. Michael's eldest son George went to Australia from Canada for the Gold Rush of the 1850's. This was the start of a large branch of the Ireland family in Australia.

I am interested in exchanging any information about the Ireland family from Weaverthorpe.

Peter Ross-Ireland
London

cjl

Post by cjl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Karen,

Has you can see from previous postings on this thread I am also related to the Ireland family.

George Hunter Ireland born in 1821 was also my great, great, great grandfather.

Would you be interested in comparing research?

Best Wishes
CJL

ktnicholson

Post by ktnicholson » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi there
Yes I would gladly share any information that I have. It would be great to compare details.

Karen

quote:Originally posted by cjl
Karen,

Has you can see from previous postings on this thread I am also related to the Ireland family.

George Hunter Ireland born in 1821 was also my great, great, great grandfather.

Would you be interested in comparing research?

Best Wishes
CJL

cjl

Post by cjl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:34 am

Karen

A belated welcome to Driffield Online.

Which member of the Ireland family would you like to begin comparing our research on?

It made my day yesterday to discover a possible distant relative.

Best Wishes
CJL

ktnicholson

Post by ktnicholson » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:35 am

Thank you CJL

After an afternoon at beverley archives researching the Irelands from Wold Newton and then making contact with you it turned out to be a very productive day!

I have been digging for info since last summer, although as I work full time and have 3 young boys my time is limited! Myself and my parents share a family tree on ancestry.com. If you are able you could log on there to see where we have got to, it is free at the library too. Our tree comes under 'charlesireland5'. I also recieved the 'Who do you think you are' computer software for Christmas which I am busily filling in, trying to be as accurate as possible. We tended to rush in a little with the ancestry website and we did make a few mistakes along the way!

I am facinated by the story of the Red lion pub in Wold Newton and only yesterday found parish records dating back to 1730s with Richard Ireland calling himself liciencee on his childrens baptism records. I wondered how you knew the name of this pub? I did ask for any possible liciencee records at the archieves but there seems to be none. I ran out of time yesterday so will be returning to go through the school records for Wold Newton/Weaverthorpe and more parish records to fill in the details for John Ireland 1783 and his father John Ireland 1763 and families.

Best Wishes

Karen

quote:Originally posted by cjl
Karen

A belated welcome to Driffield Online.

Which member of the Ireland family would you like to begin comparing our research on?

It made my day yesterday to discover a possible distant relative.

Best Wishes
CJL

cjl

Post by cjl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:48 am

Karen

You certainly did have a very productive day yesterday.

Thank you for your e mail address. Although if I were you I would now delete your e mail address from your post, you don't want to open yourself up to tons of unsolicited junk mail.

I also have a tree on the ancestry web site. I will e mail you early this evening if that is okay and we can begin to compare information.

Best Wishes
CJL (Christine)

Gill

Post by Gill » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi Karen
Small world isnt it, I was at the Beverley Archive yesterday so probebly saw you.
I am distantly connected to the Ireland family via the Elvidge/ Harrington line.
My Great grandmother x7 was Ann Ireland (B 1722 - D 1818, Nth Burton)
she married George Sawden (B 1708 - D 1799)on 19th May 1752 at Thwing.
They had 7 children ,
Mary - B 1753
Richard B 1754
John B 1755
Ralph B 1760
Robert B 1762
James B 1766
Mary B 1771
All born in North Burton.
I have been given a little bit of information about their offspring but not had chance to check this out my self yet, if you think there is a connection to your Irelands I can let you know what I have.
Gill

ktnicholson

Post by ktnicholson » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Hello Gill

Small world indeed! Great minds must think alike!
I think our lines must cross, the area is definately right. I wonder is your Ann Ireland born 1722 is a sister of my Richard Ireland born 1732 in Weaverthorpe? Do you know Ann's parents?

I will keep looking

Best wishes

Karen

quote:Originally posted by Gill
Hi Karen
Small world isnt it, I was at the Beverley Archive yesterday so probebly saw you.
I am distantly connected to the Ireland family via the Elvidge/ Harrington line.
My Great grandmother x7 was Ann Ireland (B 1722 - D 1818, Nth Burton)
she married George Sawden (B 1708 - D 1799)on 19th May 1752 at Thwing.
They had 7 children ,
Mary - B 1753
Richard B 1754
John B 1755
Ralph B 1760
Robert B 1762
James B 1766
Mary B 1771
All born in North Burton.
I have been given a little bit of information about their offspring but not had chance to check this out my self yet, if you think there is a connection to your Irelands I can let you know what I have.
Gill

Phoebe Newton

Post by Phoebe Newton » Wed May 27, 2009 10:38 pm

quote:Originally posted by Jason F
Do you have any details of a Mary Ireland b1853 in Wold Newton and Married Thomas Cooper as part of your tree?
jason

Hello Jason,

Mary Ireland was my great grandmother, daughter of George Hunter Ireland, a farm labourer from Wold Newton, and Elizabeth( nee Staveley)who was born in Reighton in about 1823 and died at Bempton in 1893. Mary and Thomas had 8 children, 7 of them born in Driffield
George Robert was born about 1872 at Demming, near Burton Agnes. He lived in Beverley as an adult.I believe his younger brother,Andrew, moved there too.
Hannah, my grandmother, born 1875, married James Foster who worked at Station Mills, Nafferton.
Julia, born about 1878, married Joseph Grimshaw from Bridlington and stayed in Driffield.
Jack Cooper was a joiner like his father. Thomas and Harry, his brothers, may have followed the same trade.
Mary Cooper, born about 1887, married John Belt. I think they went to live in Peterborough.
I don't remember any of my great aunts and uncles but I have more information if you need it.

Phoebe Newton