Ireland Family - Weaverthorpe

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'A' through 'I'

Postby Phoebe Newton » Wed May 27, 2009 11:13 pm

quote:
Originally posted by cjl
Jason

Mary Ireland born 1853 Wold Newton was the daughter of George Hunter Ireland born about 1821 Wold Newton and Elizabeth Staveley born about 1823 Reighton. George and Elizabeth married in about 1842 in Bridlington.

George and Elizabeth had five children:-

William born about 1842 Wold Newton
Ann born about 1844 Wold Newton
Hannah born about 1846 Wold Newton
George Hunter born about 1850 Wold Newton
Mary born about 1853 Wold Newton

I have information on the spouses and children of all of Mary's siblings and also information on George Hunter Ireland born 1821 father and grandfather.

I think that Mary's husband Thomas Cooper died in 1891. Do you know whether Mary remarried again? I think I have found her on the 1901 census but am not certain whether it is her.

Hello Christine,

I just tried to answer Jason's query and realise now that I have repeated some of the information you gave him. Mary Cooper was my great grandmother. She didn't remarry as far as I know, but I'm not sure when Thomas died. One of his grand daughters remembered a photo of him playing the piccolo and thought that he probably played in a Driffield band.

John Ireland, who was mayor of Driffield at one time, is also related to Mary's family.

Best wishes,

Phoebe Newton

Best wishes,

Phoebe Newton

Phoebe Newton

Postby cjl » Wed May 27, 2009 11:46 pm

Phoebe,

Your great grandmother, Mary was my great, great grandfather George Hunter Ireland's sister.

If you would like to compare information on the Ireland family, I would be more than happy to share with you what information I have.

I know nothing about your line of the family other than that your grandmother married your grandfather James Foster.

Best Wishes
Christine
cjl

Postby Jason F » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:01 am

Pheobe

I have Mary Ireland as re-marrying to a George Lonsdale b abt 1861. They married July-Sept1895 in Driffield (9d 513).

Also, not sure about Andrew moving to Beverley as he is my great grandfather and married Margaret Ann Legard about 1912 in Driffield (she originated from Beeford

Jason

quote:
Originally posted by Phoebe Newton
quote:
Originally posted by cjl
Jason

Mary Ireland born 1853 Wold Newton was the daughter of George Hunter Ireland born about 1821 Wold Newton and Elizabeth Staveley born about 1823 Reighton. George and Elizabeth married in about 1842 in Bridlington.

George and Elizabeth had five children:-

William born about 1842 Wold Newton
Ann born about 1844 Wold Newton
Hannah born about 1846 Wold Newton
George Hunter born about 1850 Wold Newton
Mary born about 1853 Wold Newton

I have information on the spouses and children of all of Mary's siblings and also information on George Hunter Ireland born 1821 father and grandfather.

I think that Mary's husband Thomas Cooper died in 1891. Do you know whether Mary remarried again? I think I have found her on the 1901 census but am not certain whether it is her.

Hello Christine,

I just tried to answer Jason's query and realise now that I have repeated some of the information you gave him. Mary Cooper was my great grandmother. She didn't remarry as far as I know, but I'm not sure when Thomas died. One of his grand daughters remembered a photo of him playing the piccolo and thought that he probably played in a Driffield band.

John Ireland, who was mayor of Driffield at one time, is also related to Mary's family.

Best wishes,

Phoebe Newton

Best wishes,

Phoebe Newton

Jason F

Postby Phoebe Newton » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:29 am

quote:
Originally posted by Jason F
Do you have any details of a Mary Ireland b1853 in Wold Newton and Married Thomas Cooper as part of your tree?
jason

Hello Jason,

Since I last posted a message I have discovered that Mary Ireland/Cooper did remarry and she is on the 1911 census as Mary Lonsdale. Thomas must have died at sometime during the 1890's, I think. I even received a photograph of her the other day, via a Cooper relative in the USA. My Granny did not have a photo of her mother and I did not expect to find one.

Regards,

Phoebe Newton
Phoebe Newton

Postby peter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:00 am

Hello Karen and everyone who has been posting to this thread which is in its 10th year now.

The name Red Lion is mentioned in records for the sale of or improvement to some land by Richard and Moses in 1799.

See the thread named "Anvil Arms" in the Wolds Genealogy forum on this site for the exact wording.

Peter

quote:
Originally posted by ktnicholson
Hello Peter

I too am related to the Irelands fron Weaverthorpe/Wold Newton and have found your info. very usefull already. Could you tell me how you know the name of the pub that Richard Ireland 1732 had in Wold Newton. I have found local records with Richard and his family and that he was a liciencee but wondered how you knew the name of the Inn.

I live in the East Riding of Yorkshire, just down the road from these villages. I havr traced my family back to George Hunter Ireland 1820 from Wold Newton ( My 3rd great grandfather)

Hope this reaches someone!!!

Karen

quote:
Originally posted by peter
I am researching my branch of the Ireland family from Yorkshire. Richard Ireland born Weaverthorpe 1732 owned the Red Lion Pub in Wold Newton from the mid to late 1700's. One of his son's Michael also had a son Michael who went to Canada in 1819 with his brothers. Michael's eldest son George went to Australia from Canada for the Gold Rush of the 1850's. This was the start of a large branch of the Ireland family in Australia.

I am interested in exchanging any information about the Ireland family from Weaverthorpe.

Peter Ross-Ireland
London

peter

Re: Ireland Family - Weaverthorpe

Postby peter » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi to all who have contributed to this thread about the IRELAND family for the last 15 years (yes 15 years). There has been a fair amount of interesting discussion and hopefully all have learnt something and been helped in some way, I know I have.

However I am still searching for the origins of Richard IRELAND (1732-1806) from Wold Newton, Yorkshire as mentioned in the original post.
Note that he wasnt born in Weaverthorpe, this is what we thought in 2000, but has since been shown incorrect.

I first discovered Richard in the early 1990s as my 5th great grandfather, before the internet became what we know today, but still with all the new technology Richard's origins remain illusive. For me its a long standing dead end.

If anyone researching this IRELAND family tree has solved the puzzle of Richard then Id love to hear from you.
Everything I know about my family tree is on Ancestry.

Regards
Peter
peter

Previous

Return to Surnames A-I