CAPE family - Langtoft

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'A' through 'I'

CAPE family - Langtoft

Postby ThackrayP » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:27 am

Hello

My main interest is in the CAPE family and at this time I’m trying to confirm the parents of Bryan or Brian Cape who married Mary Hall at Langtoft 10 Nov 1668. They had 6 children, Richard 1669, Elizabeth 1670, Bryan 1672, James 1674, William 1675 and Francis 1678. He later appears to have married Elizabeth Ware. All details from Langtoft Parish records. Bryan is my 8th Great Grandfather

They were related to the Rev Thomas Atkinson of Langtoft through their son James who married Mary Reaston, their son William who married Ann Harman, their son James who married Phyllis Pindar and their son William who married Ann Atkinson who was the daughter of the Rev. Thomas Atkinson. Thomas had land adjacent to Langtoft Church in 1804.

I have seen a suggestion that Bryan’s parents were John Cape and Elizabeth Coates but I cannot find a reference to this.

Any help or guidance to confirm this or suggest an alternative very much appreciated.

Paul
ThackrayP

Re: CAPE family - Langtoft

Postby tremal » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:39 pm

John Cape married Elesebeth Coates at Rillington on 3.12.1650 - note spelling.

John Cape married Ann Stoness at Rillington on 10.4.1654

If this is your John Cape, did his first wife die?
tremal

Postby Ian Soanes » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:15 pm

I don’t know whether they are correct but there are quite a few public member trees on Ancestry which quote details along the lines of the following =>

Bryan Cape
Birth 1648 in Yorkshire, England
Marriage 10 Nov 1668 to Mary Hall in Yorkshire, England
Death 1698 in Yorkshire, England

John Francis Cape
Birth 1600 in Crosthwaite, Cumberland, England
Marriage 14 Nov 1625 to Susanna Hechstetter in Crossthwaite, Cumberland, England
Death in Crosthwaite, Cumberland, England

John Caipe/Cape
Birth 1555 in Crosthwaite, Cumberland, England
Marriage 1 Mar 1578 to Alis Birkhead in Crosthwaite, Cumberland, England

At least one of the trees has an additional generation between Bryan Cape and John Francis Cape =>

John Cape
Birth 1626 in Cumberland, England
Marriage 3 Decd 1650 to Elizabeth Coates in Rillington, Yorkshire, England
Death 1737 in Cumberland, England
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Postby ThackrayP » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks folk for the quick and constructive replies. You both encapsulate the problem I have in finding binding evidence to substantiate the link to his parents.

My tree is on Ancestry ‘Thackray – Cape’ and Ian shows some of the options people have added but no one has any evidence listed and often many follow where one has taken the first option found as it seems wonderful to have these names listed. There is also an American influence coming from across the big pond looking for their roots.

I’ve seen the John Cape – Elizabeth Coates combination on a number of platforms but it’s interesting with the name variation from Tremal of Elesebeth.

The possibility of two marriages at Rillington has many plaudits but gives no link to Bryan. Jane Cape was born in Rillington 18 Jun 1655 and Elesebeth Cape 18 Feb 1657 both listed with John Cape as the father. With the second daughter having the name Elesebeth the natural line of thought is to say the mother is Elesebeth Coates thus she was born after John and Ann married in 1654 hence possibly ruling out this is the same John.

With the marriage of John and Elesebeth being in 1650 there is a long gap between the marriage and Jane in 1655 and I cannot find any children in this period especially the link I need to Bryan hence my conundrum.

While from other works this seems the right path I have not closed my eyes to totally alternative parents. Unfortunately the Langtoft Parish records to not list the parish either Bryan or Mary Hall came from on the wedding detail which would be a useful clue and neither are mentioned with a earlier baptisms at Langtoft.

Again thanks to you both for your thoughts and any further ideas from you or anyone would be very much appreciated. With my limited experience of research this is proving a difficult step.

Paul
ThackrayP

Return to Surnames A-I