Elvidges and Clarks, Huggate, E. Yorkshire

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'A' through 'I'
andy14976

Elvidges and Clarks, Huggate, E. Yorkshire

Post by andy14976 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 am

Hello!

My Clark research/posts from last January have moved on a generation or two. It now seems that one Harry Elvidge married Muriel Clark in 1931 in Pocklington, and at some point MAY have become licensee of the Wolds Inn in Huggate.

Muriel's brother was John David Bernard Clark who lived locally, and died in 1985, in Bridlington. These two were my third cousins.

If anyone has any information, anecdotes or photo's, I'd be pleased to hear from you, especially about living Clark descendants.

Thanks,
Andy.

Peter6
Valued Member

Re: Elvidges and Clarks, Huggate, E. Yorkshire

Post by Peter6 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:29 pm

PLANE CRASH IN FIELD NEAR WOLDS VILLAGE

Mrs Harry Elvidge, of the Wolds Inn, Huggate, told the Hull Daily Mail that the pilot must have dived his aircraft into the field after it got out of control, rather than risk crashing among the houses. The pilot was ready to bale out in plenty of time, the second airman told the villagers, and by crashing his machine outside the village he had forfeited his chance of doing so.

"We heard a tremendous bang," Mrs Elvidge told a reporter, and all rang outside to see the fire and smoke at the other end of the village. In the sky a white parachute was floating down. While the men ran towards the crash I ran indoors and telephoned Pocklington police."

Mr Elvidge described how oil and petrol were sprayed onto the stackyard and outbuildings of Mr H Smith's nearby farm, starting a small fire in one of the stacks.

Source: Hull Daily Mail - Tuesday 08 March 1949 (Extract only)

Peter6
Valued Member

Re: Elvidges and Clarks, Huggate, E. Yorkshire

Post by Peter6 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Children dashed from school when jets crashed

Mr Harry Elvidge landlord of the Wolds Inn, Huggate, who was driving through the village at the time of the crash with Mr W Paul, of Lincoln, as passenger, had a narrow escape. The roof of his car was set alight by blazing paraffin as one aircraft crashed.

He managed to drive clear and extinguish the flames with sand and dry soil.

Source: Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Wednesday 18 October 1950 (Extract only)