BELL Family

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'A' through 'I'
emzey

BELL Family

Post by emzey » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:25 am

Morning,

My 3 x Great Grandmother was Maria Bell born 16 Dec 1842 Great Driffield, her mother is listed as Ann Bell on her birth certificate but with no other details. Maria was baptised on 31st Jan 1843. In 1851 she was listed on the census as being a lodger at the age of 8 in Chapel Lane, Great Driffield living with 2 females listed as paupers. Unfortunately there appears to be more than 1 Ann Bell in Great Driffield around that time and I haven't yet been able to access the actual baptism record for Maria to see if it gives anymore information about Ann.

Does anyone else have Maria or Ann in their tree's or know of anyone who does? Or does anyone have a copy of the records that would be happy to do a look up for me and see if anymore information is listed on the baptism record.

Thank you in advance

Emma

Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Re: BELL Family

Post by Ian Soanes » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:47 pm

I have Maria Bell, as you say baptised 31 Jan 1843 Driffield, daughter of Ann Bell - no father recorded.

If I have it right, Ann Bell was baptised on 28 Jul 1822 at Foston-on-the-Wolds, one of 11 children of John Bell and Margaret Moody, who married on 06 Oct 1810 at Nafferton.

Ann appears to have had at least 3 illegitimate children - Maria, Mary Jane and Henry - baptised in the 1840s in Driffield before marrying Robert Harper in 1850 and moving to North Frodingham. She had a son - William - about 1851 and then the family moved to Holbeck, Leeds, where she had at least 5 more children between 1852 and 1861 - Margaret Sabrina, Sarah Ann, John Robert, Elizabeth and Frances.

Robert and Ann Harper died in Leeds in 1883 and 1894.

Ian