Lois Fenby

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'A' through 'I'

Lois Fenby

Postby Marcus Rush » Sat May 10, 2014 9:21 pm

I am having a very difficult time in establishing the background of the above mentioned Lois Fenby....Lois was born around 1785 and claims on one of the census documents that her birth place was Hutton-Cranswick. She was married to Francis Walker and had a number of children. (I have all of her census documents as well as a list of her children and birth dates.) She died on November 24, 1864 in Kirkburn and I have a photo of her gravestone.

What I am looking for is a clue as to who her parents were and perhaps an accurate birth date. I am hoping there is someone on this site who may have studied this family.

Thanks....Marcus
Marcus Rush

Re: Lois Fenby

Postby Ian Soanes » Sun May 11, 2014 11:01 am

I think the Hutton Cranswick birthplace is wrong. On the 1861 census, Lois states that she was born in Haisthorpe. This ties in nicely with the baptism of a Lois Fenby in Burton Agnes on 6 May 1782, the daughter of Ann Fenby.
https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... 1780-1790~

I put forward the suggestion that Lois was the illegitimate daughter of Ann Fenby.

There is a baptism record of an Ann Fenby, daughter of Robert Fenby, on 15 April 1759 at Hutton Cranswick.
https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... 1755-1770~

Her baptism place ties in nicely with Lois's 1851 birthplace. However, there is also a marriage record of an Ann Fenby to Michael Bielby at Hutton Cranswick on 14 April 1777. This gives the bride's birth year as 1755 which could be, with a small stretch, the Ann Fenby baptised in 1759. Perhaps she was baptised at age 4?

Hope this helps.
Ian
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Re: Lois Fenby

Postby Marcus Rush » Mon May 12, 2014 11:36 am

Hi Ian.......Thanks for the baptism link for Lois Fenby. Like you I believe she was the illegitimate daughter of Ann Fenby.

As for the marriage record for Ann Fenby to Michael Bielby I believe this may be a different Ann Fenby. That marriage took place in 1777 and there are records of children being born to them before 1782 (birthdate for Lois) and also after that date. What a little mystery we have here.

Thanks again....Marcus
Marcus Rush

Return to Surnames A-I