Adkins of Beverley and North Frodingham

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'A' through 'I'
yakabak

Adkins of Beverley and North Frodingham

Post by yakabak » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:37 pm

Trying to trace my maternal Grandmothers family, Adkins.

Cheers
Yakabak

grinwolf

Re: Adkins of Beverley and North Frodingham

Post by grinwolf » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:00 pm

Hello yakabak, your user name is interesting and unusual.
It would suggest to me who comes from the area of East Yorks between Driff. and Bev.thati t is a slang name for Aike - the old saying used to be Yak (Aike) aback of Arram.
Am I correct?

Also Did any of your Adkin relatives live at Skipsea?

Grin wolf

aljabra

Post by aljabra » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi Grin wolf, On the topic of Yak aback Arram, I have been looking for a reference to this for a long time. My grandmother used to say something like "Yak (Aike) aback Arram where they shoo pigs with steam"? I am not sure of all of the words as it did not make any sense to us and sounded like a nonsense verse, I have forgotten the context it was used in as I have not heard it for the best part of 40 years. I would be interested to hear anyone else's recollection or knowledge of the phrase and its origins. My grandmother was from Hornsea and her parents from Hornsea and Rise.

DF

Post by DF » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:28 pm

My Dad used to say " fra Yack aback a arram" When he didn't know where someone or something was from. He was brought up mainly in the Market Weighton area.