Agar - L/Cpl Harry Clifford Agar Died WW1

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'A' through 'I'
c38agar

Agar - L/Cpl Harry Clifford Agar Died WW1

Post by c38agar » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:14 am

Any information to add to what i already have on L/Cpl Harry Clifford Agar born 1896 Lockington son of William & Sarah Agar. Harry died a prisoner of war 17/11/1918 and is buried in the cologne military cemetry. He served with the 2nd Yorkshire Regiment his service number 240306.

Peter6
Valued Member

Post by Peter6 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:19 pm

Extract from the Driffield Times
January 18, 1919

KIRBYGRINDALYTHE

Any information of Lc-Corpl C. Agar, 240306, 2nd Yorks, who was captured last May and heard of last October, will be gratefully received by his parents, Mr and Mrs Agar, Manor Farm, Kirbygrindalythe, Wharram, Malton.

Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:20 pm

Further to the above, regarding the same family during WW1 and all extracts from the Driffield Times -

June 1, 1918
KIRBYGRINDALYTHE
MISSING – Mr and Mrs W. Agar have had information from the War Office, saying their youngest son, Lce-Corpl H. Clifford Agar (204306), has been missing since May 8th. He joined the Territorials under Sir Mark Sykes, just before the war broke out. Before that he was engaged on the farm with his father. He was wounded last year, and in Birmingham Hospital 10 weeks suffering from dysentery.

June 29 1918
KIRBY GRINDALYTHE
Harry Clifford Agar, Lance-Corporal, 2nd Yorks Regt., the son of Mr and Mrs W. Agar, who was reported missing some weeks ago is now officially said to be a prisoner in Germany.

December 28, 1918
FUNERAL OF THE LATE MR BERT AGAR, OF ULROME
The remains of the late Mr Albert Agar, aged 29, of The Old hall, were laid to rest in the Ulrome Churchyard, on Friday afternoon amid many manifestations of deep sorrow. Deceased was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs Wm Agar, of Kirbygrindalythe, and was well known and highly respected. He had been taken ill with influenza and passed away from pneumonia. He succeeded Mr Thos Watson, who gave up farming and now resides at Bridlington, at Ulrome Old Hall, two years ago last Lady Day, and had done well on the farm. During his residence in the parish he had been Overseer, and was held in high esteem locally. He will be remembered in the district as a musician and was in great demand at many of the social functions as a pianist. He was educated at Beverley Grammar School, his parents at that time being in residence at Lockington. His father is a native of Nafferton, and resided at North Frodingham many years. Deceased’s mother, sister, two brother and four cousins were unable to attend the funeral owing to influenza.
It is over three months ago since any news was heard of deceased’s brother, Lc-Cpl Harry Clifford Agar, 2nd Yorks., who was taken a prisoner of war on 8th May last, and his whereabouts had given considerable anxiety to the late Mr Bert Agar as well as to his parents, sisters and brothers.

c38agar

Post by c38agar » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:42 pm

Thanks for the info Dee.
Regards carole

petom

Re: Agar - L/Cpl Harry Clifford Agar Died WW1

Post by petom » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:33 pm

Hello Carol,
it's been a while since you made your last post here. So I don't know if there is a chance to get in touch with you on this forum. So this is just a try.
My name is Thomas and I'm living in Germany. I think I have something that once belonged to Clifford Agar.
Please contact me
Kind regards
Thomas