Cherry family

For those who are tracing their Yorkshire ancestors with a surname beginning with the letters 'A' through 'I'
kglund

Post by kglund » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:56 pm

John,
Nearly didn't bother posting this as I don't think the dates fit - but you never know.
Your comment about Robert Foster Cherry being named after a friend and neighbour intrigued me.
My GG grandfather was Foster Fenby who lived at Beverley Parks certainly at 1881 census when they lived at Victoria Works, he was a labourer at the Whiting works, his second daughter, Mary b1879/80's birthplace is listed on the census as Chalk Villas. However, I believe he was born 1853 in Bridlington.
Any connection?
The above is connected with my materal grandmother, coincidentally, on my materal grandfather's side my g grandmother's sister Maisie Agar b1897 d1975 first husband was a Bill Cherry don't know anymore details I'm afraid - it's a Beverley family so again any connection?
Regards,
Karen.

worsfold

Post by worsfold » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:06 am

Hello. I'm trying to establish details about my great, great, great grandfather (and his ancestors). I have photographs of this family line right back to 1860's but the names of most 19th century sitters are unknown to me. I believe he lived in the East Riding area but am unsure where he would have been born. He went on to live in Hornsea where he founded Hornsea Brick and Tile Works (aka Edenfield Works?), with his partner Mr.Wade. (Wade & Cherry).
His son, (my great, great grandpa) was William Cherry who lived in Beverley and married Sarah (unknown maiden name). Their daughter married William Robinson who I'm told died onboard the Lucitania during WW1. William and sarah's youngest daugther, Nellie, married into the Botham family and Ian Botham the cricketer is (I'm told) her grandson?? William and Sarah's eldest daughter, Betsy, married George Bunting who was a cavalry soldier during WW1, their son was Sgt.Pilot. Ken Bunting of RAF squadron 136 (the cukoo's) who flew in India and over Japan? My grandma was Sarah and William Robinson's middle daughter Eva who married Arthur Leslie Worsfold. Sarah worked in an ammonition factory producing shells through WW1.
I guess I'm hoping that someone somewhere will recognise something here and be able to offer me a lead or two. I have very little in the way of dates to trace records with. Any of the above could also have lived in Rotherham, Driffield, Hornsea, Beverley. Certainly more recently Beverley.Any information regarding 19th century Cherry's of this line would be most welcome. I'd be happy to share photographs.

Cheers Toby.

Libby Fowlie

Post by Libby Fowlie » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:25 pm

Toby,
My Grandmother was Nellie Robinson and I remember Eva, her sister quite vividly. Nellie married Alfred Foster, please get in touch me, my family website is www.tribalpages.com/tribes/oscar134

Libby
Libby

amanda grassick

Post by amanda grassick » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:57 pm

I would like to get in touch with John Cherry, who posted on this forum in 2005. My grandfather was Robert Foster Cherry and I have only recently started doing our family tree.
If you are able to get in touch that would be great.

worsfold

Post by worsfold » Tue May 25, 2010 3:36 am

Hi Amanda, I am of the same line as John, John Cherry (of Wade & Cherry) was my gggGrandfather. If I can help let me know via email. myitsso@yahoo.com.

john cherry

Post by john cherry » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:31 pm

scrooge736

Re: Cherry and Botham

Post by scrooge736 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:10 am

New to this site but Hannah Cherry was my great grandmother having married Herbert Botham so can assist with the Botham side and need hand myself with the Cherry side

Mark Botham
worsfold wrote:Hello. I'm trying to establish details about my great, great, great grandfather (and his ancestors). I have photographs of this family line right back to 1860's but the names of most 19th century sitters are unknown to me. I believe he lived in the East Riding area but am unsure where he would have been born. He went on to live in Hornsea where he founded Hornsea Brick and Tile Works (aka Edenfield Works?), with his partner Mr.Wade. (Wade & Cherry).
His son, (my great, great grandpa) was William Cherry who lived in Beverley and married Sarah (unknown maiden name). Their daughter married William Robinson who I'm told died onboard the Lucitania during WW1. William and sarah's youngest daugther, Nellie, married into the Botham family and Ian Botham the cricketer is (I'm told) her grandson?? William and Sarah's eldest daughter, Betsy, married George Bunting who was a cavalry soldier during WW1, their son was Sgt.Pilot. Ken Bunting of RAF squadron 136 (the cukoo's) who flew in India and over Japan? My grandma was Sarah and William Robinson's middle daughter Eva who married Arthur Leslie Worsfold. Sarah worked in an ammonition factory producing shells through WW1.
I guess I'm hoping that someone somewhere will recognise something here and be able to offer me a lead or two. I have very little in the way of dates to trace records with. Any of the above could also have lived in Rotherham, Driffield, Hornsea, Beverley. Certainly more recently Beverley.Any information regarding 19th century Cherry's of this line would be most welcome. I'd be happy to share photographs.

Cheers Toby.