Hull Packet, 1839

This should only be used for general queries, and not specific name queries. Those should be posted in the surname sections below.

Hull Packet, 1839

Postby brianmulhall » Wed May 08, 2013 4:11 pm

I have heard about an Obituary for Martha Witty which appeared in the "Hull Advertiser" in 1839. Martha was buried in Ontario, in what is now part of Toronto, on 14 March 1839, so I suppose a notice in a Hull newspaper would have been late April or May. The problems start because I do not recognise the paper - the Hull Packet seems far more likely. They continue because the Hull Packet for 1839 is missing from the British Newspaper Archives on the web.

Does anyone know if there are copies to be found in East Yorkshire? If so, it is either a reason to beg for help, or an excuse to come up north.

Brian Mulhall
brianmulhall

Re: Hull Packet, 1839

Postby cj2014 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:35 am

Hi Brian,

Belated reply to your post but hopefully you will read it, if you haven't solved the query already!

Hull History Centre has copies of the Hull Advertiser on Micro Film. They have hand written index cards in a filing cabinet for the obituary notices that appeared in that paper, all listed alphabetically by surname, so it should be easy to check if there was a notice for Martha. If she appeared there should be an index card, which will tell you the date that the notice appeared in the paper. Saves time in trawling through numerous editions!

I used to visit quite regularly but am unable to do any look ups at present I'm afraid. I believe they offer a research service should you be unable to visit personally yourself
cj2014

Re: Hull Packet, 1839

Postby brianmulhall » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks, cj2014. I do appreciate this reply, even if some time after my original post. As it happens I ended up asking the Hull History Centre for help and have photocopies of the entries in both the Hull Advertiser and the Hull Packet. I would also like to make public my appreciation of the service given by both the Hull Centre and, separately, the East Riding Archives in Beverley in helping to tie up this little bit of the Witty family history.

Brian Mulhall
brianmulhall

Return to General Family History and Genealogy Queries