Hamilton, Yorkshire

This should only be used for general queries, and not specific name queries. Those should be posted in the surname sections below.
brianmulhall

Hamilton, Yorkshire

Post by brianmulhall » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:51 pm

In some Census records I have found Hamilton, Yorkshire, given as place of birth. My guess is that it must be somewhere near Beverley, for the woman in question was married there, to a Shepherd, and they lived in the St. Martin parish. Google maps was no help.

Help would be appreciated.

Brian Mulhall

Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Post by Ian Soanes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:53 am

Hi Brian.

I guess Hamilton might refer to something like Hamilton House or Hamilton Farm?

What's the name and birth date of the person you are looking at?

Cheers,
Ian

brianmulhall

Post by brianmulhall » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks, Ian, for the reply - I might have guessed you would have the local knowledge to help.

The person in question is Mary Middleton, b. about 1810 in Hamilton, Yorks according to both 1851 and 1861 Censuses. Her husband was William Witty (yet another one!), a little older but he had died before 1851.

While on the matter of the Wittys in Yorkshire, I noted Graham Steer's contribution some weeks ago (to the effect that a shared name is no proof of a common Ancestry) and started wondering how many of that name in and around Hull are related, either to the Middleton family or, indeed, to each other. Two sources, the Newspaper archives and the electoral registers, which have become accessible on line have proved an embarrassingly rich source of more "odd" Wittys - material for future posts.

Regards,

Brian

Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Post by Ian Soanes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:26 pm

Not only another William Witty but one I don't yet have! Do you know who his parents were?

I've had a look at Mary and for a Yorkshire Hamilton, but can't find one. There's a Hamilton House in Hamilton Road, Lincoln, but I guess that's not very likely. The nearest Yorkshire location I can come up with is Hambleton - about 4 miles west of Selby and about 30 miles from Beverley. There were some Middletons born there, although I can't find a likely Mary.

Interestingly, one of Mary's children was baptised Esther Middley Witty (1836 - Beverley Minster). I guess 'Middley' was mistranscribed.

Regards,
Ian

PS: It's likely that Esther married a George Morley in Selby in 1861, and lived there briefly before moving to Wistow, George's birthplace. Could this underline the idea that Mary came from the Selby area?

tremal

Post by tremal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:55 am

I think (from memory), that an outlying district/farm of the village of Barmston is called Hamilton or Hamilton Hill. Could this be the one?

Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Post by Ian Soanes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:17 am

Good one!
I remember my mum saying Hamilton Hill was supposedly where Lady Hamilton once stood to wave goodbye to Lord Nelson, sailing past in his ship. [Can't believe that one though!]

The hill is on the cliff top about 500 yards north of Barmston. There's a farm nearby, at the end of Hamilton Hill Road.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Hamilto ... ngdom&z=15

Ian

brianmulhall

Post by brianmulhall » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks to both Ian and tremal. The place near Barmston looks the most likely, so I shall note it as that.

As for the rest, I have little more about William, beyond his marriage to Mary in Beverley in 1834, that his death was before 1851 and that he and Mary appear to have had six children. The first, a son, was Henry, so one might guess that William's father was also Henry. There is a family tree on Ancestry, but it clearly has errors.

William's death is a puzzle, for there are two possible GRO references, one 1849 Q3 Beverley, Vol. 23, p. 7 and the other 1845 Q1 Beverley, Vol. 23, p.3. There appears to have been a daughter, Rachel, baptised in Beverley 5 April 1846, but there is also a report in the Hull Packet, 14 Feb 1845, of a death "Feb 9, at Beverley, Mr. Wm. Witty, one of best shepherds in E. Riding", so favouring the earlier death. From the various Census records Rachel could have been born in 1845, after her father's death, and baptised much later - I have only the Family Search record as evidence, but someone may have access to the Parish Registers for Beverley Minster and be able to state what is actually recorded.

The many other Wittys I have can be material for a few more topics.

Brian