Wilfholme - hamlet 6 miles south of Driffield

This should only be used for general queries, and not specific name queries. Those should be posted in the surname sections below.

Wilfholme - hamlet 6 miles south of Driffield

Postby Keith Smith » Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:33 pm

For the past 20 years, I've lived in Wilfholme, a small hamlet with half a dozen houses. It's not on most maps and when I'm asked where I live, most people say "Where?", having never heard of it.
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has information on the past history of Wilfholme - people, places, stories, anything.
Keith Smith

Postby Bonny » Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:33 pm

Hi Keith

You will probably find some history under the GENUKI website. If you dont find anything under the name Wilfholme, try the 'Where is it' under East Riding subjects.

Bonny
Bonny

Re: Wilfholme - hamlet 6 miles south of Driffield

Postby grinwolf » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Wilfholme, as I know it is a farm house situated close to the west bank of the river Hull, and a few yards further to the west of the house is Barmston Drain.
Up to about the mid 1960's , maybe a few years earlier, the farm had been in the hands of Mr. Robert Dearing. He had been there for a lot of years, certainly well before W.W.2.
My father was in the "hired " employment of Bob Dearing for about thirteen years, I suspect in the late 1920'/30's - my dad was born in 1912. Being hired meant he lived in with his employer.

At that time the farm was also a public house - "The Three Jolly Tars", and continued to be so until Bob Dearing sold the property.,
Wilfhome was popular with weekenders , who owned House boats on the river,and frequented the pub.
At that time also, the River Hull was busy with Traffic in the form of Barges, some being horse drawn along the river bank.
I suspect that much of the river traffic was heading for Great Driffield from Hull, via the Driffield Canal.
grinwolf

Postby Keith Smith » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:26 pm

thamks for your reply.

I still live in Wilfholme and have now lived there for more than 30 years.

Three Jolly Tars still exists. It is no longer a pub, but has been a working farm for many years.

The Bob Dearing you mention in the 1920s/30s would have been the grandfather of one of my neighbours and he still lives at Wilfholme - now at Manor Farm.
Keith Smith

Postby grinwolf » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Further information can be found on Kilnwick on the wolds genuki.
I was always under the impression that Wilfhome was in the parish of Beswick.

Manor farm Wilfhome was in the hands of Albert (titch) Dearing until around 1970ish, when he went to live in Walkington.

I suspect his son John probably is farming it now.

Bob Dearing's daughter Irene married Lawrence (Lorry) Stamp, and farmed Fountain farm between Watton and Kilnwick Lodges (I bet there are not many people around now who refer to The Lodges.) This is a whole new subject.

Fountain Farm has been a chidrens nursery now for a few years.
Little Fountain Farm is on Wilfhome road about quarter of a mile from the Lodges.
grinwolf

Postby asher » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:25 am

Hi Keith

In case you are interested I have just posted a request of help on the WRIGHTs who lived at Wilfholme Farm in the early 1800's, in the Surname section. Have you learnt any more about your area since your post?

Anne
asher

Return to General Family History and Genealogy Queries