Burial places

This should only be used for general queries, and not specific name queries. Those should be posted in the surname sections below.
russlandtim

Post by russlandtim » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Some info. about the workhouse can be found on East Riding archives on line catalogue.Also a good piece on Driffield workhouse on google.

Noodles

Post by Noodles » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:10 pm

quote:
I have a copy of the booklet bongocaz refers to. According to its introduction, Driffield Cemetery in Bridlington Road was opened in 1865, replacing three small cemeteries - the Parish churchyard, the Baptists' on Chapel Lane and the Independents on Exchange Street. These were all finally closed by 1882.

There's no Fanny or Frances E Nalton listed in the index which suggests she isn't there.

FreeBMD confirms Fanny's death was registered in Driffield District. i.e. Not necessarily in Driffield itself.

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1915
Name: Fanny E Nalton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1914
Age at Death: 33
Registration district: Driffield
Inferred County: Yorkshire East Riding
Volume: 9d
Page: 437

Her absence from Driffield Cemetery suggests that she may have died and been interred in one of the many villages in the surrounding area. You can see a list of these here: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/dist ... field.html

Do you know where she was born? People were (are) quite often buried in their home town or village.

Was she married? If so, she may have been buried with her husband's family.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Thanks very much Ian. At least I know I'm looking in the wrong place now! I know she wasn't buried with her husband but unfortunatly, I know little else about her life before 1901. She gives a different age on every form she ever filled out and sometimes uses the name Elizabeth too! I'll try the surrounding villages. Thanks again, Noodles

nell

Post by nell » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Just because she hasn't a headstone doesn't mean she wasn't buried in Driffield cemetery. If they were poor then they probably wouldn't have been able to afford one.

Kevin King

Post by Kevin King » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:33 pm

I'm trying to locate the burial places of two airmen that were killed in 1938 whilst serving at RAF Driffield with 75 (Bomber) Squadron. They were AC1 John D Bradshaw 567454 RAF age 19. Died 9 May 1938. Came from Fleetwood, Lancashire.
Sergeant Ronald George Cowley Marshall 564231 RAF age23. Died 5 April 1938. Came from Richmond, Yorkshire.
Have checked both Fleetwood and Richmond for burial details without success. Possible they were buried in Driffield. Can anyone help to see if they are buried in Driffield. Many thanks.
Kevin. Chairman The Friends of 75 (NZ) Squadron Association.

russlandtim

Post by russlandtim » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Hello Kevin. If you look on freebmd you will see that both of these gentlemen are buried in the district of Buckrose which I think includes Driffield. Its a free site.

Kevin King

Post by Kevin King » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:13 pm

quote:Originally posted by russlandtim
Hello Kevin. If you look on freebmd you will see that both of these gentlemen are buried in the district of Buckrose which I think includes Driffield. Its a free site.

Hello
Thank you for your reply. The district of Buckrose is where the deaths were registered. Of the five crew killed on the 5-4-1938 I have located the burial places of four of them. They were taken to their home towns for burial. Ronald Marshall is proving very difficult. As is John Bradshaw. I've written to local papers in Richmond and Fleetwood. This has proved successful in the past. They may of course have been buried in Driffield but I need the burial register checked. Thank you again for your reply.
Regards Kevin

russlandtim

Post by russlandtim » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 am

Hello Kevin. If you want to be certain if they were or werent buried in Driffield we have found the archives.service@eastriding.gov.uk very helpful.

Kevin King

Post by Kevin King » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Hello Kevin. If you want to be certain if they were or werent buried in Driffield we have found the archives.service@eastriding.gov.uk very helpful.

Thank you for that. Will give them a try.
Regards Kevin

Kevin King

Post by Kevin King » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:03 pm

quote:Originally posted by Kevin King

Thank you for that. Will give them a try.
Regards Kevin

Have checked the burial registers for Driffield. Neither are buried there. Just hope my newspaper appeals pay off. Thank you for your help.
Regards Kevin

russlandtim

Post by russlandtim » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Your welcome. Good luck.