Burial places

This should only be used for general queries, and not specific name queries. Those should be posted in the surname sections below.

Burial places

Postby Noodles » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:45 pm

Please could someone tell me where people are buried in Driffield? I know there is a cemetary on Bridlington Road and people buried in the churchyard. Is there anywhere else in town? And which one would be the most likely place to find someone buried about 100 years ago? Thanks.
Noodles

Postby bongocaz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:48 pm

I have a book with all Driffield burials in it would you like me to look someone up??
bongocaz

Postby Noodles » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi Bongocaz. Yes please, that would be great! I'm looking for the grave of Fanny E Nalton she died in Driffield Jan/Feb/Mar 1914. Thanks very much!
Noodles

Postby Rose » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Please could you look up Fred Simpson for me in the Driffield burial book, he was my grandfather and died in 1932, I know he died in Driffield but do not no where his grave is.
Many thanks.
Rose

Postby Ian Soanes » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:57 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Noodles
Hi Bongocaz. Yes please, that would be great! I'm looking for the grave of Fanny E Nalton she died in Driffield Jan/Feb/Mar 1914. Thanks very much!

Noodles,

I have a copy of the booklet bongocaz refers to. According to its introduction, Driffield Cemetery in Bridlington Road was opened in 1865, replacing three small cemeteries - the Parish churchyard, the Baptists' on Chapel Lane and the Independents on Exchange Street. These were all finally closed by 1882.

There's no Fanny or Frances E Nalton listed in the index which suggests she isn't there.

FreeBMD confirms Fanny's death was registered in Driffield District. i.e. Not necessarily in Driffield itself.

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1915
Name: Fanny E Nalton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1914
Age at Death: 33
Registration district: Driffield
Inferred County: Yorkshire East Riding
Volume: 9d
Page: 437

Her absence from Driffield Cemetery suggests that she may have died and been interred in one of the many villages in the surrounding area. You can see a list of these here: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/driffield.html

Do you know where she was born? People were (are) quite often buried in their home town or village.

Was she married? If so, she may have been buried with her husband's family.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Postby Ian Soanes » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:14 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Rose
Please could you look up Fred Simpson for me in the Driffield burial book, he was my grandfather and died in 1932, I know he died in Driffield but do not no where his grave is.
Many thanks.

Hi Rose. Long time no speak!

Sorry - there's no Fred Simpson listed in Driffield Cemetery.

The 1911 census records Fred living with his wife and daughter, Mary and Sophia, in Hutton Cranswick. If you are certain he died in Driffield town could he have been in hospital there? If so, it may be that he was burried in Hutton Cranswick, the village where he was born.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Monumental Inscription booklet for Hutton Cranswick so I can't look it up for you. Maybe someone reading this can?

Take care,

Ian
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Postby Rose » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks Ian, I have his death certificate he died on 8th Jan 1932, at 19 Bridlington Road, Driffield, so I assume he would have been buried there as he had no other relations as far as I can tell, mind you I have been told in the past that poor people were buried without a headstone as there was no-one to pay for it! Thanks once again for your help, I hope you are keeping well.
Rose
Rose

Postby Ian Soanes » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:17 am

I've come across another person who died at 19 Bridlington Road. Does anyone know whether this was the address of the old workhouse/infirmary? Bridlington Road has been redeveloped since the 1930s and, presumably, renumbered.
Ian

======================================

I've just found the 1911 census return for Driffield Workhouse and one of the introductory pages includes the institution description and full postal address:

The Driffield Union Workhouse and Workhouse Infirmary
19 Bridlington Road, Driffield, Yorkshire
Chief Resident Officer: Thomas Nelson Conder

Ian
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Postby Rose » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks again Ian, seems like he must have had a paupers funeral !
Rose
Rose

Postby Ian Soanes » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:44 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Rose
Thanks again Ian, seems like he must have had a paupers funeral !
Rose

Not necessarily. He may have been in the infirmary. The workhouse was often the only place people could find help when ill or infirm. It was effectively an early form of state care home.
Ian
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Next

Return to General Family History and Genealogy Queries