Graveyard query - Elizabeth Botham (nee Hopley)

This should only be used for general queries, and not specific name queries. Those should be posted in the surname sections below.

Re: Graveyard query - Elizabeth Botham (nee Hopley)

Postby Adie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:00 pm

I always wondered where the Eastwood side of the family came in to it. I actually have one of the Easwoods daughters live next door but one to me. Had my mum been alive who was a Botham then she would have been able to fill me in with some details. I can remember from my childhood and am now 54 going to my mums aunts in Fridaythorpe and some of my brothers remember going to the farm that one of the relations had and as far as I am aware still do. The stories of how mum used to cycle up Garaby hill during the war years after working in the munitions factory in Leeds and staying with her Aunt Jayne. I also remember being told how a relative was a station master or signal man at Hunanby near Filey if this is of interest to you.
Well bye for now but if you have anymore info for me or if I can help you any please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Adie.
Adie

Postby Ian Soanes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Your great Aunt Jayne is probably Jane Ann Kirby, born 1885 at Fridaythorpe, who was married in 1905 to Herbert Lakes, a farm labourer from Fridaythorpe. They had a daughter Ethel Mary Lakes later in 1905 - I think their only child.
Ian
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Postby Adie » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:02 pm

I believe there is also someone called Harold over in either in Fridaythorpe or Wetwang. Do you know anything of this person in our family.
Adie

Postby Ian Soanes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Harold James Kirby was born in 1892 in Fridaythorpe, younger brother of Jane Ann (Kirby) Lakes and Emily (Kirby) Botham. Harold was working as a waggoner in 1911 at Towthorpe near Sledmere, boarding at the home of Joseph Cockerill, farm hind. He enlisted for 1 year in the Army Service Corps, Special Reserve as a Waggoner (No. 140), serving between 01 Mar 1913 and 28 Feb 1914. I'm not sure what happened to him after that.
Ian
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Postby Adie » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:36 am

Thank you for all the informatin you are providing me with andI will ask my brothers if they can enlighten me with any information if any to pass on back to you. Going back to my mum now, she was Gladys Botham born in Fitwilliam, 11 Earl street I think if my memory serves me right where my grandad and grandma Botham moved to from Driffield where grandad was a painter and decorator and I think grandma was in service at a house or some sort of public house.. Mum had an older sister called Edith and a brother called Bernard. They are all now desceased. Mum married an Henry Hall from South Elmsall and they had 8 sons (no television in those days.). but sadly is now desceased but the other 7 of us are all within the Yorkshire area.
Uncle Bernard Botham had 2 daughters Janet and Angela and Auntie Edith married and became a Pointon. My Uncle died before I was born but I think his name was Bert. They had a daughter called Joan. If I think of any more information going forward or any of my brothers can pass on anything to me I wuld be happy to share this information with you.
Adrian Hall.
Crofton
Wakefield
W Yorks
Adie

Postby Ian Soanes » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:26 am

Adrian,

I have pretty much all that info. You are right about your grandmother. In 1911 Emily Kirby was a servant living at The Falcon Inn, 57 Market Place, Driffield, the home of Ann Kirby, licensed victualler. As yet I haven't found a relationship between Emily and her boss, Ann Kirby. Ann was born Ann Wing in Hull c1845 and married auctioneer and estate agent Thomas Tindall Kirby (1841-1901). After Thomas died, Ann took over the running of the Falcon Inn which used to belong to Thomas's father Robert Kirby (b. 1819 in Nafferton). I feel sure there'll be a distant relationship between Robert's family and Emily's but, as I said, I haven't found it - yet.

Ian
Ian Soanes
Valued Member

Previous

Return to General Family History and Genealogy Queries