Vicars of Kirkburn

This should only be used for general queries, and not specific name queries. Those should be posted in the surname sections below.

Vicars of Kirkburn

Postby brianmulhall » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:11 pm

I have a number of Wills in which one of the Witnesses is either Clark or Vicar. My guess is that this refers to their status - presumably the Clergy of the local Church.

Does anyone know where to look for who the Incumbents were in Kirkburn in around 1617? I recall from when I lived near Guildford that my local Church had a board by the main door with a list of all from about 1200!

Brian Mulhall
brianmulhall

Re: Vicars of Kirkburn

Postby davida » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:57 am

I have only just happened across your query of some years ago about an incumbent of Kirkburn in 1617.

Not all incumbents were necessarily Vicars. Some were curates. All could have signed themselves as Clerks i.e 'Clerk in holy orders'

Thomas Cordiner was presented to the incumbency in 1608 and probably served until 1624 or 5 when he was succeeded by William Simpson.

Hope that this might be of some belated use to you.

Regards

David Adamson
Churchwarden, Kirkburn
davida

Postby brianmulhall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks very much for this, David. I had almost forgotten the matter, having moved onto other problems, as one does!

Your information fits with two Wills:-

First, Mary Witty died in Southburn in 1617. Her Will was dated 12 February 1616 (but in the Julian Calendar) and proved 20 October 1617, so about eight months later. I have found no record of her burial. A Witness was "Thomas Cordener Viccar", though the name was not very clear without your help.

The second concerned Anne Witty, of Middleton, whose Will was dated 12 April 1588 and proved 5 July 1588. She had a witness "John Sympson clerke". Could your William be a son or other relative of this John? Again, I have not found a record of Anne's burial, though somewhere I recall seeing a mention of Kirkburn.

Brian
brianmulhall

Postby davida » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:48 am

Dear Brian,

There are references to a number of Witty/Wittie/Wittee/Wittye/Wtte/Wyttie ies around this time. Unfortunately neither Anne nor Mary appear around this time. That is not to say that they were not interred in Kirkburn, just that there is not a record. Neither do gravestones help as most people did not have any and I suspect that there was a major clearance sometime in the 1700s as our earliest is about 1780. Most certainly Kirkburn churchyard has probably been buried over several times in the last 1000 years.

The only Mary around this time is a baptism in 1626/7 of Mary filia Richard Wtte. She appears to have had a brother Francis filius Richard Wyttie in 1628 and another William son Richard Witty in 1632 and then a daughter (un-named) in 1635.

I suspect that William Simpson could well have been John's son. He was ordained in 1618 and baptised his daughter Nehomia f Gulielmi Sympson cleric' in 1826.

Anything else I can help with?

David A
davida

Postby brianmulhall » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Dear David,

Thank you for you interest in this matter. As you will see from this Forum, there has been a lot of correspondence and interest in the Witty family and its several branches in the East Riding.

As far as the church records are concerned all my information about the Witty family in Kirkburn and the immediately surrounding villages (which were, I suppose, part of the Parish of Kikburn) come from a booklet of Transcripts produced by the Yorkshire Archaeological Society, covering the Registers from 1686 to 1837 and the Bishop's Transcripts from 1601 to (though not complete) 1685. The events you mention are in this publication. If you have further information, perhaps as yet unpublished or not readily available, I think there would be some interest among readers of this correspondence - for example, the YAS transcripts do not appear to contain a complete list of clergy, for Thomas Cordiner, for example, is missing, while there are events believed to have occurred from 1580 up to about 1603 for which I have found no record.

My personal interest arises because I believe I may be directly descended from the Witty family in Kirkburn, though some of the links in the chain in the late 1600s and early 1700s are a little questionable.

Regards,

Brian
brianmulhall

Return to General Family History and Genealogy Queries