East Yorkshire Archive look ups

This should only be used for general queries, and not specific name queries. Those should be posted in the surname sections below.

Postby tremal » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:12 pm

The Free BMD website shows Mary J Porritt, mother named Taylor, registered at Driffield in the quarter ending June 1914. You can apply for a baptism certificate by quoting the registration detail shown with the entry. Hope this helps.
tremal

Postby luciel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks I have the original birth certificate but an unsure where she was baptised (possibly North Frodringham ). Where do I get the Baptismal record from ?
luciel

Postby DF » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:10 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Dee
Its the Beverley one.

Aug 15, 1825, Banns
James Overfield, Garton, bachelor, labourer
Sarah Wass, Garton, spinster
Wit: Margaret Hisonsonns [?],Charles W. Hillaby

There you go - how quick was that? Are you sure it the 18th? It looked like the 15. I can double check tomorrow if you want. [bear in mind that witnesses are signatures and some very difficult to read.

I can only find these Overfields in baptisms -

Thomas, s. of Thomas & Sarah Overfield, Labourer, Sep 5 1813 but no Wass's. Possibly these might be his parents, having moved to Garton after James' birth. Not going to York archives to confirm it, sorry.

Hi Dee,

I thought that you might like to know - I have at last managed to get to the Borthwick and found:-
There is a record of a Christening at Sutton-on-Derwent on 4th September 1803 which reads as follows:-
"James OLDFIELD Son of Thomas OLDFIELD Labourer Son of William OLDFIELD Labourer Elizabeth his Wife."

Thomas Overfield born 1783 Sutton-on-Derwent Married Sarah Norton in Skirpenbeck on 25th October 1802. They have children Christened at Sutton-on-Derwent and later, as you mentioned, children Christened at Garton on the Wolds. I have assumed that Thomas Oldfield and Thomas Overfield are the same person and have details of the family back to the Marriage of William Overfield and Ann Burton in Bugthorpe on 14th July 1702.

It took time, but was worth the wait!!
DF

Previous

Return to General Family History and Genealogy Queries