East Yorkshire Archive look ups

This should only be used for general queries, and not specific name queries. Those should be posted in the surname sections below.

East Yorkshire Archive look ups

Postby Dee » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:21 pm

I'm going to the archives tomorrow. If anyone wants something looking up, please post the specific details below.

I don't need a long family history, just which parish register to look in, the approximate year and the name. Just one look up per person, though. You'll get the chance for another look up next time I go.

I'll post the reply when I get back tomorrow night. I will be going again, so if you miss this post, don't worry.
Dee

Postby DF » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:16 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Dee
I'm going to the archives tomorrow. If anyone wants something looking up, please post the specific details below.

I don't need a long family history, just which parish register to look in, the approximate year and the name. Just one look up per person, though. You'll get the chance for another look up next time I go.

I'll post the reply when I get back tomorrow night. I will be going again, so if you miss this post, don't worry.

Hi Dee,

If it is the York archives you are visiting I would be most grateful if you could find anything in the Melbourn Parish register for James Overfield born abt 1800.
If it is the Beverley one He Married Sarah Wass on 18th August 1825 at Garton on the Wolds. Does it give the names of their Parents please?
These are my GGgrandparents and have hit a blank wall with both of them.

Regards,
DF
DF

Postby Dee » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:00 pm

Its the Beverley one.

Aug 15, 1825, Banns
James Overfield, Garton, bachelor, labourer
Sarah Wass, Garton, spinster
Wit: Margaret Hisonsonns [?],Charles W. Hillaby

There you go - how quick was that? Are you sure it the 18th? It looked like the 15. I can double check tomorrow if you want. [bear in mind that witnesses are signatures and some very difficult to read.

I can only find these Overfields in baptisms -

Thomas, s. of Thomas & Sarah Overfield, Labourer, Sep 5 1813 but no Wass's. Possibly these might be his parents, having moved to Garton after James' birth. Not going to York archives to confirm it, sorry.
Dee

Postby zoe j » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:43 pm

Hi Dee,

Any information on Andrew Hoggard/Hoggarth b.abt 1816 Hutton Cranswick , died 1878 - Bridlington, would be very helpful.

I have his wife and children, but who were his parents?
Did he have brothers and sisters?

There were other Hoggards from the village but i cannot link them up.....
zoe j

Postby Dee » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:53 am

Crikey, that's more than one. I will look at the Cranny one and get back to you, seeing as I'm about to set off and you're the only one wanting a look up now.

Bridlington has more than one parish church though. Some Bridlington registers have been completed and are available here -

http://yorkshireparishregisters.webs.com/parishregisters.htm

I won't do look ups in those, because they worked so hard and for a long time, to complete them.

I just happened to have the Garton ones for the previous person, because I'm transcribing that register and am going back today to complete it.
Dee

Postby DF » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:56 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Dee
Its the Beverley one.

Aug 15, 1825, Banns
James Overfield, Garton, bachelor, labourer
Sarah Wass, Garton, spinster
Wit: Margaret Hisonsonns [?],Charles W. Hillaby

There you go - how quick was that? Are you sure it the 18th? It looked like the 15. I can double check tomorrow if you want. [bear in mind that witnesses are signatures and some very difficult to read.

I can only find these Overfields in baptisms -

Thomas, s. of Thomas & Sarah Overfield, Labourer, Sep 5 1813 but no Wass's. Possibly these might be his parents, having moved to Garton after James' birth. Not going to York archives to confirm it, sorry.

Thank you Dee,
Someone looked up the information for my Daughter (who I rgeret to say died 3 years ago) and may have got the date wrong. I had hoped that the records might give the parents names, unfortunately the witnesses don't "ring any bells".
There wouldn't be any Wass family there as Sarah came from Sutton under Whistonecliff.
Their second Son Thomas Wass Overfield born 1839 at Wetwang; so Thomas is probably a family name (my Grandad was Thomas) and it is possible that the James and Sarah who had the Thomas you mention might be his parents - will just have to keep on "fishing"
Thank you again for your input.
Kind Regards,
DF
DF

Postby Dee » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:01 pm

Zoe - Looked at Cranswick baps for 1813 to 1835 and there no Hoggard/ Hoggarth baptisms during that period. Sorry.
Dee

Postby Dee » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:03 pm

DF - at least you know the answer, even if it wasn't the one you were hoping for. What a bummer for you, though.
Dee

Postby zoe j » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks Dee, i appreciate you help. I'll get his marriage certificate and see if that comes up with any clues....
zoe j

Postby luciel » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:06 pm

I am looking for the baptism of Mary Jane Porritt daughter of George & Jane E Porritt, born 29 April 1914 North Frodringham.Any help greatly appreciated. There is a possibility she may have been baptised in West Lutton or Weaverthorpe area
Last edited by luciel on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
luciel

Next

Return to General Family History and Genealogy Queries