Catholic Burials

This should only be used for general queries, and not specific name queries. Those should be posted in the surname sections below.

Catholic Burials

Postby ursu » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:30 pm

Does anyone know where Driffield Catholics would have been buried late 19th, early 20th century, I believe the Catholic Church never had a graveyard. I have checked the Driffield MI's & they are not recorded there, I doubt the family would have afforded a Memorial Stone, any help appreciated, thank you
ursu

Re: Catholic Burials

Postby grinwolf » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:33 pm

Hello ursu, having recently spent much time in the Treasure House in Beverley, looking for burials, I was surprised to find the actual registers for Driffield Cemetery, which was opened in 1865.
Had problems finding my gt grandmother who lived in Driffield - had no luck in the burial register for All Saints Church.
Found her in the Cemetery register,the burial ceremony would be non conformist. Would assume therefore that catholics are in the cemetery - ceremonies conducted by a catholic priest.
Prior to 1865, would catholics be buried in All Saints Churchyard, perhaps in a selected area? This would also apply to non conformists - they would have to be accepted in to the Anglican Church yard by the Anglican priest.Have read somewhere, that Methodists were always buried at the rear of the churchyard - could apply to catholics also?
Hope this helps.
grinwolf

Postby grinwolf » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Further to my last reply, just remembered that some Methodist and other nonconformist churches had thier own burial grounds; can't remember if the present one in Middle Street North has one or not - I know the one in Toll Gavel Beverley has.

Don't know anything about the history of Catholics in Driffield; is the church in West Gate the first?
grinwolf

Postby tremal » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:20 am

Briefly, RC community established in Driffield in 1883. Mission Hall opened in Westgate. First priest 1886. Red-brick church opened on land adjacent.Followed conversion of Lady Sykes from Sledmere, money from Lady Herries of Everingham HalTrevor Malkin
tremal

Return to General Family History and Genealogy Queries