Carling peas

Do you want to know something about Driffield and the surrounding area?
Questions about Doctors, schools, where can you stable your horse. Ask away, and get the answers you need.

Carling peas

Postby j » Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:11 pm

I read that Carling (black or pigeon) peas were placed on the bar in pubs in Driffield during the early part of Lent. They were prepared with extra salt to encourage thirst. Does anyone know of this custom - was it a recent custom, what was its history, where were these peas grown, did it happen in villages around Driffield? Thanks.
j

Postby nordi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:45 pm

My Gran lived in Driffield and when I was a kid in the 50s we always had Carling peas on Carling Sunday and they had them in dishes on the pub bars for anyone to dip into, a bit like peanuts. I continued to make them for my uncle up until he died 10 years ago- a great memory of his childhood too.
YOu can use what are now called pigeon peas. Soak them overnight. Next day boil them for about 20 minutes with a half teaspoon of salt. Drain then fry them in dripping. Eat hot or cold sprinkled with salt.

nordi
nordi
nordi

Postby plook » Wed May 23, 2012 11:19 pm

We used to have Carling peas the Sunday before Palm Sunday and you can still get them in Driffield, and as said soak them, boil then no salt, then fry them and season. Carling Peas seem to be eaten in the East Riding- but not in Hull as far as I know. Peas on Sunday trumping Monday
plook
Valued Member

Postby plook » Wed May 23, 2012 11:22 pm

It is custom on this day to eat fried peas or carlings. "The origin of eating fried peas on Carling Sunday, seems to be wrapped in complete obscurity but local tradition, however, gives a possible origin to this old and still prevailing custom. A famine was raging in Newcastle and a ship laden with food foundered on the north east coast, losing its cargo of peas. This was washed up and greatly appreciated by the communities, so the custom was perpetuated in commemoration of that event. The carlings are soaked overnight in water, boiled well then fried in butter and served with vinegar and bread and butter. "
(Information from the Bishop Auckland Discovery Centre)
plook
Valued Member

Postby zoe j » Mon May 28, 2012 11:10 pm

I was born and brought up in one of the villages near Driffield.
As children... we used to take Carlin peas to Infant/Junior school.. to eat during playtime.
Our parents put them in a greaseproof bag. They were delicious but i haven't eaten them since.
I thought they had gone out of fashion!
zoe j

Return to Ask Away...