Sir ?

Do you want to know something about Driffield and the surrounding area?
Questions about Doctors, schools, where can you stable your horse. Ask away, and get the answers you need.

Sir ?

Postby Joe Pa » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:26 pm

This will seem silly to some, but I have a question concerning the title " Sir". Is this term only used to address someone who has been Knighted? In my continued research into my English heritage, I have uncovered a few relatives carrying the honor of " Sir". Namely, Sir Thomas Laurence de la More( Oxfordshire), and Sir John Scales (Buckinghamshire)
Also, I would assume there is a clear and permanent record kept of those who have been so honored. Where would I find it?
Joe Pa

Postby plook » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Hello Jo,

The title Sir is either inherited or given to individuals by the monarch, in modern by the monarch or the Prime minister. Before 1964
titles could be inherited, since then they cannot unless associated with the monarch. This honour was given for winning battles, good works , supporting the monarch or being the monarchs favourite. There are various jobs that come with a title such as some Judges or high up Civil Servants.

The title Sir usually represents the honour Knight Bachelor.

Your relative was probably given lands and title somewhere in your past for pleasing an English King or Queen.
plook
Valued Member

Return to Ask Away...