Thorpe Hall

Do you want to know something about Driffield and the surrounding area?
Questions about Doctors, schools, where can you stable your horse. Ask away, and get the answers you need.

Thorpe Hall

Postby Joe Pa » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:44 am

I know this may be a stretch in this forum, but can anyone tell me if Thorpe Hall Manor at Rudston is still standing today. I have a geneological link to the estate and am gathering information. I have found good photos of the other Thorpe Halls, but not this one which I am searching out. I mean the Thorpe Hall which now has a caravan on part of the grounds. Please help if you can with photos and information. Thanks!
Joe Pa

Postby plook » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:02 am

Yes its still there .Sir Ian and Lady Macdonald live there.
plook
Valued Member

Postby plook » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:11 am

The only pic. I can find is on Google Maps.
plook
Valued Member

Postby Joe Pa » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks Plook. Funny how there seems to be no pictures of this Thorpe Hall. I would ask that if anyone has any, even old ones, please email me a copy. I have just become owner of some antique family documents, one of which explains a visit to Thorpe Hall containing 12 chimneys, 315 windows, etc. I would just like a good photo of the mansion to compare with the description. email loco219@verizon.net
Joe Pa

Postby plook » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:19 am

Why not write to the owners?
plook
Valued Member

Postby Joe Pa » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:19 pm

That is indeed the next step. If the address is a simple look up, could someone please post it here for me? Thanks.
Joe Pa

Postby plook » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Sir Ian Macdonald of Sleat
Thorpe Hall
Rudston
East Riding of Yorkshire YO25 4JE
England
plook
Valued Member

Postby Joe Pa » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:41 pm

A sincere thanks to all who helped me here. I made contact with Sir Ian, and he established for me I am searching for a different Thorpe. The good news is, I think I found it. It is actually Aus Thorpe Hall, just outside Leeds. This Manor has my ancestors name, John Moore, on the stone at the door dated 1694. My question now is, may I discuss the Leeds area here, or is it too far away? If I may not, is there a chat forum closer to Leeds someone can link me to? Thanks.
Joe Pa

Postby plook » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Well I'l go the foot of our stairs!

Try:
www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/wyjs-archives-leeds.asp -
plook
Valued Member

Postby DriffieldOnline » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:46 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Pa
A sincere thanks to all who helped me here. I made contact with Sir Ian, and he established for me I am searching for a different Thorpe. The good news is, I think I found it. It is actually Aus Thorpe Hall, just outside Leeds. This Manor has my ancestors name, John Moore, on the stone at the door dated 1694. My question now is, may I discuss the Leeds area here, or is it too far away? If I may not, is there a chat forum closer to Leeds someone can link me to? Thanks.

Please feel free to carry on with your chat on here, it may help others with similar queries!

PS For the first time in 70 years you now have an ideal opportunity to actually acquire the hall that your ancestors built!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-15059055.html
DriffieldOnline

Next

Return to Ask Away...