Chickens or Bantams?

Do you want to know something about Driffield and the surrounding area?
Questions about Doctors, schools, where can you stable your horse. Ask away, and get the answers you need.
Dee

Chickens or Bantams?

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:50 am

In about 2 weeks time, I shall be getting a chicken coop, and then I'll need to get some chickens. Any advice?

Which is best for the coop and as pets for young children? Should I get chickens or bantams or just mix them for a variety?

Egg size isn't a consideration and won't be going for more than 4 altogether.

Finally, where local can I get them from?

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Make sure that if you get a cock -bod its not going to disturb anyone. I know of several people who have been upset because the neighbours complained about it crowing at day break. I would go for bantams lovely little birds small so better for children.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm not breeding them, so no intention of getting a cock-bod. Breeding is for those with more rural locations, not for a back garden.

kay

Post by kay » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:44 pm

I'd go for a mix, although if i had to choose between the two, for pets i would go for Bantams. Small birds with big personalities.
I kept a mix when i had the space. One of the perks was a freshly laid egg, they were delicious.
Good Luck.

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:57 am

I've discovered Cruckley Farm sell chickens and that Speckled Sussex are ideal as pets and layers, in a coop.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be most grateful.

Thank you for going to the effort of responding.