Woolworths

Do you want to know something about Driffield and the surrounding area?
Questions about Doctors, schools, where can you stable your horse. Ask away, and get the answers you need.
DF

Woolworths

Post by DF » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:54 pm

I have always had an attachment to Driffield Woolworths. When I was 18 months old we lived a few doors away and one of my first memories is of walking round the store with my Mother, taking her hand and howling my head off when I realised that it was not her but a stranger who looked down on me!!!
We were in Driffield last week and were pleased to see that work is being done the store. Anybody know what is happening to it??
I am naturally nosey!!

finsbury

Post by finsbury » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:32 pm

The rumour is its going to be a w.h.smith

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:15 pm

I hd a saturday job at Woolies in the 1960 started at 8am finished at 6pm for 16/- thats about 27p? It was good fun. You wold work on plants then move to buiscuits!! My friend sold the bucket and shovel we cleaned up with and the electric light bulb tester. We had our dinner there which we had to pay for.The dinner lady was lovely lady she cooked the food on the premisses. An added perk was that your boy friends could come in and chat you up providing the supervisor didn't see them. After work ,home,get changed and off to the Town Hall dance or Beverley Regal.