Driffield "The Food Office"2nd World War

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves about whatever you like - keep it clean though else it will just be deleted!

Driffield "The Food Office"2nd World War

Postby ticketyboo1414 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:38 am

Where was the "Food Office" located in Driffield, in the 2nd world war ?,does anyone have any information about it as to who worked in it or know anyone who worked there,as my own relative did so(but deceased),many interesting storys were related about the bad winters(snowed up) and staff having to travel by bike-to farms, so if any of you farmers have any recollections memorys of that era-or knew some of the staff,it would be pleasing to here related storys.
ticketyboo1414

Postby plook » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Snow was up to the top of the telegraph poles on good roads my Grandma told me. There was a clinic down Victoria Road.
plook
Valued Member

Postby DF » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:25 pm

quote:
Originally posted by plook
Snow was up to the top of the telegraph poles on good roads my Grandma told me. There was a clinic down Victoria Road.

It certainly was up to the telegraph poles - we moved from Driffield in 1938 and went to live at Kilham Westfield Farm (between Driffield and Langtoft). I well remember our coal man Mark Cracknell, from Gibson Street, Driffield, he delivered our coal on a sledge pulled by horses. I can remember running down the lane to meet him.
DF

Postby tremal » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:21 pm

As far as I can remember, the 'food office' was in King Street, Driffield. It was towards the bottom and has been demolished in recent years. I think it was called 'Bourne House'. A lady who worked there was called Pottage.
tremal

Return to General Discussion