Moving to Driffield?

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves about whatever you like - keep it clean though else it will just be deleted!
Overhere

Moving to Driffield?

Post by Overhere » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:18 pm

I will be returning to England next year after a very long stay in America. Due to the economy I will be forced into an early retirement. Because my family moved several times when I was young, I have no home town to return to. My relatives are scattered across England and so I can live anywhere I can afford.
I like the look of this part of the country as I like walking and would enjoy the Wolds. My relative, who lives in the general vicinity could not be expected to provide me with a full social life, and as a single woman I will need opportunities to meet people and make friends. Are people friendly in this area, and would there be opportunities for me to socialize and make friends? Any comments will be appreciated.

passing through

Post by passing through » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:18 pm

Most of the people we have met in the Driffield area are warm and friendly. Just keep away from mad fish shop owner. http://www.driffield.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2530

Overhere

Post by Overhere » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:21 am

Thanks for your reply. I was getting a bit scared because about 40 people had looked at this message and chosen not to type a response. I did not, however, get a reply to my question about social activities. You have to be able to go to some function or another in order to meet people. I suspect that if I walked up to someone and said Hi! I just moved into the area would you like to come over for a cuppa they would think I was a raving lunatic.....

Michael

Post by Michael » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:35 am

madmini

Post by madmini » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:10 pm

Hello, my family moved from west yorks also to driffield approx 5 years ago, all i would say is watch the driving don't know what the driving instructors teach them in driffield but they have no clue whos right of way etc.. it is , town is like dodge city they park all over the double yellows!, some very ignorant people, don't think some locals like change, and outsiders to be honest, some of the shop assistants never crack a smile.
Driffield high school is very good if you have kids, i would stay clear of some of the smaller villages they look very appealing when driving through etc.. but better off in Driffield or Bridlington, i know a few people who have moved to these smaller villages and can't seem to settle or get along with the people, very clicky. Kilham, Garton on the wolds are a couple of examples
I myself love my new home in Driffield quiter life no hassle, but its what you make it. good luck

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:21 pm

I think madmini may have a few valid points especially re: the driving but don't let that put you off. Suggest you buy or get your relatives to send you the Driffield Times and Post along with the Hull Daily Mail or Yorkshire Post, all these will give you some ideas regarding clubs, hobbies and outings that may get you involved in the local scene. Two very good theatres in the area, the Stephen Joseph theatre in the round at Scarborough and Hull Truck theatre for culture and Driffield itself has stuff going on on a fairly regular basis. People won't come to you but perhaps your relatives could introduce you to a few locals who are interested in the same type of things. Good luck!

finsbury

Post by finsbury » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi i moved to drifield many years ago and have made a lot of good friends and i found the people very friendly and welcoming.The majority of the local shopkeepers are friendly and helpful.As regards to the driving i have met much worse in larger cities.Also all the places i have worked have been very helpful.I lived in a big city where you knew no one but thats not the case in Driffield people will help if you want it but respect your privacy as well.

LizzieJ

Post by LizzieJ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:39 pm

I can only speak as I find. I moved to Driffield to be with my new man (a born and bred yorkshireman)after my (ex)husband from Wiltshire tried to kill me, but I'm afraid I met with either indifference or outright hostility from both sets of neighbours.

The nastiness that was meted out to me (and it appears my only crime was to be a 'southerner') was so bad that after all I had been through, I almost had a mental breakdown.

They always picked on me when my bloke wasnt about to protect me too, which shows how petty they were - oh yes, they were in their 60's and 70's - not young people! More than once I had the comment 'Well of course, you're a southerner' thrown at me. It made me realise what true 'foreigners' to this country have to face when they meet with rascism.

Sorry to be so negative, but my experience did not live up to my belief that 'Northerner's are lovely friendly people' - NO THEY ARE NOT!

Thankfully, my other half (now my husband) got made redundant then got offered a job down south and I was able to move southwards again - we now live in the Cotswolds and I am SO DAMNED HAPPY now and also we have lovely, lovely neighbours now and I really appreciate them. I know not all Yorkshire people are like it, as my dad was a yorkshireman and so's my brother, but Driffield? I'd avoid it like the plague. Sorry. And apologies to those of you who ARE nice. I'm sure some of you are - I just wish I'd met you in the two years I had to live there.

And if you recognise yourself as one of the neighbours - you should hang your heads in shame. You had no cause to behave like you did to me - its not in my nature to be unkind to anyone.

On a better note - the countryside is beautiful - but not a patch on the cotswolds of course!

dottie

Post by dottie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 am

I have not lived in my home town since 1960 but I have been back on vacation quite a nuber of times. Every visit has been a pleasure. Lots of people did not know me but no-one was ever rude to me. Maybe my attitude had a lot to do with it.My grandaughter just returned from spending 6wks there and cannot wait to go back again. My daughter and I are planning a trip soon. By the way the country side is beautiful - cannot be beat.

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Lizzie so sorry you met with hostility or indifference from your neighbours. We're not all like that but elderly neighbours do tend to be a mite suspicious of strangers (as elderly neighbours in any part of the country would tend to be)and as dottie comments perhaps attitude does have a lot to do with it. Glad you are happy in the cotswolds though. I had relatives in that area and although it's nice enough I'm afraid it will never beat God's own county!