Moving to Driffield?

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves about whatever you like - keep it clean though else it will just be deleted!

Postby vinny » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi,we're a family in our 40's moving to the area soon,Little Kelk. We're very friendly,and hope to be made welcome. Moving up from Staffordshire. My husband's a paramedic,working in Scarborough.
vinny

Postby plook » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:12 pm

I hope your move goes well. You know what they say about Kelk? Never a
honest man passed through. That's because all the houses were at one side of road! All the East Riding is lovely but you may need a 4x4 in winter. People in the smaller villages are a bit insular but keep at em'most people are lovely- it will take about 20 years to belong and then you will be called Mrs......... them that came up from Staffordshire. Lot of artists in the East Riding with clubs at
Driffield Brid. Beverley and art classes in North Dalton at Vista Arts. David Hockney lives in Bridlington the light is very good. Driffield School is very good rather than Bridlington. Loads of wild life one of the places in the country where you can see king fishers Nature Reserves at Top Hill Low ,Watton and North Cave Wetlands is great. All the best.
plook
Valued Member

Postby vinny » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Cheers for your reply. We'll keep at it with the locals,see if we can be accepted after 2 years,not 20 ;)
I used to do painting,something i may get back in to.
vinny

Postby LizzieJ » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi Galadriel, are you still on this site? Looking back at my previous message (while I am searching for something else on this forum) I am sad at the memory. I really wanted to be part of Yorkshire - after I visited my uncles when I was 9 years old _ I'd always wanted to return and live there. I am so sorry that my expectation of living in Yorkshire did not match up to reality. I've never in my life had trouble making friends, even as a child I was very popular, and I still have friends now that have been my mates for over 30 years, so I know it wasn't my attitude that was at fault - unless friendliness and kindness can be held to be a fault. I really respect and enjoy older people and when I found our neighbours weren't young, I was more than ready to offer any help I could to them. I can hold my head up as I know I wasn't to blame in any way, but I'm glad I moved. Anyway the property proved to be a great investment...we made over £20,000 on it and we only owned it for two years! I know there's lovely people in Driffield, sadly we didn't meet them until it was too late - my neighbours across the road for instance proved to be lovely, but sadly I was moving away by that time. Anyway, maybe it was meant to be, as I am really happy here in the Cotswolds.
LizzieJ

Postby plook » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:32 pm

I wondered where you had got to Lizzie and I am really sorry that your neighbours were so horrible but remember it was the neighbours that had the problem not you.They had issues not you probably due to interbreeding! Glad you are happy now and all the best.
plook
Valued Member

Postby Galadriel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi Lizzie yep for my sins I'm still here. It's just that I don't go on the forum very much now - it seems to have got a bit boring of late (probably all that b**ge!!!) I'm glad that life is good for you down there and like I said before that area of the country is lovely - I'm just sorry you had a bad experience up here. I grew up in one of the villages around here and they still hadn't accepted me years later when I finally moved 8 miles down the road even though my family has always been very well known in the area. Still you can't win them all. Wish you all the best and have a good xmas.
Galadriel

Postby Judith » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:25 pm

quote:
Originally posted by vinny
Hi,we're a family in our 40's moving to the area soon,Little Kelk. We're very friendly,and hope to be made welcome. Moving up from Staffordshire. My husband's a paramedic,working in Scarborough.

Hi, if you have moved to Kelk by now, have you tried the pies at the Chestnut Horse? They're great, but I couldn't eat a whole one. I took the rest home in a doggy bag! Hope you've settled in well and made new friends. Judith
Judith

Previous

Return to General Discussion