Flamborough descendants

IMPORTANT!!Please do not create new requests in this section.Feel free to reply to the existing messages, but all new requests etc should be posted under the appropriate 'Surname' sections below.
kglund

Post by kglund » Sat May 28, 2005 9:21 pm

Jeanette,
Hi e-mailed you back! hopefully :-)

Aurea

Post by Aurea » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:23 pm

I have Flamborough rel;atives that I'm trying to find more information on.
Chadwick: William born 1714
Hannah born 1742
Hodgson: Elizabeth born c 1715
Darley: William born 1745
Hannah born 1770
Kirby: Edward born 1770
Robert born 1798
Ann born 1840

William Chadwick is my GGGG Gradfather
Ann Kirby is my G Grandmother who married at Bridlington Quay and moved near Boroughbridge.

Any held would be appreciated.
Beth

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:49 am

For those with Flambrorough interests, this extract about that village, is from an old book called "Primitive Methodism on the Yorkshire Wolds," by Rev H. Woodcock, 1889. If anyone wants a typed copy of the whole book via email attachment, email dg.petch@btinternet.com

Flamborough, four miles from Bridlington, has been, from time immemorial, a fishing village. Physically, the people are robust in form, with broad shoulders and stately gait. We saw a group of them three years ago, and were struck with the fact that, with two exceptions, the locks surrounding their firmly set heads were light flaxen – fit descendants of their Danish and Saxon forefathers, who in olden times landed here and encamped on the headland. ‘Inured to hardships, patient, bold and rude, they braved the billows for precarious food.’ While the men braved the dangers of the deep and won fish, others, women as well as men, with baskets strapped on their backs, used to hawk fish round the country, some of them carrying as much as eight stones at a time. Next donkey and pony carts were used – today the railway whisks the fish they catch to all parts of England in a few hours.
Here, in addition to other characteristics common to the Wolds people, we have the common bond of friendship. For the villagers intermarry with each other, so that they are either cousins, or half cousins, or quarter cousins, and a preacher must be careful what he says about the people, or he will soon get into trouble. The names most common amongst them are – Lengs, Chadwicks, Fells, Woodhouse, Crofts, Bayes, Majors, Warcup, Mainprize, &c. This blood relationship leads them to render conspicuous service to each other in times of difficulty, suffering and danger.
The most prominent traits of the Anglo-Saxon character are reproduced in the Flamborians. Kindness of heart, under a somewhat rough exterior, is one of their most conspicuous points. A free-handed hospitality, a readiness to render help in time of need, have long distinguished them.
Methodism found this village in a state of great spiritual ignorance and moral debasement, aptly described by the poet –

‘A wretched church, and a wooden steeple,
A drunkard parson and a wicked people.’

Mr Clowes preached his first sermon at this place, Jan 10th, 1821, when two souls were converted and a society formed. ‘On the 12th,’ he says, ‘I ascended the Lighthouse, and exhorted and prayed with the family.’ The village has been a hot bed ever since. Sixty years ago, publicans complained that the ‘Ranters’ were robbing them of some of their best customers, which meant good Sunday dinners and decent clothes where, aforetime, there were hungry families and wretched homes.
Whether it is the stream of Danish blood, or their inartificial life that disposes them to religion, they evidently possess an intensely religious nature, as is manifest from the large proportion of the population (1,700) who attend religious services, and especially from the position and influence of Methodism amongst them. Our chapel holds 600 people and is well attended, and in 1888 the Wesleyans held a tea meeting in our schoolroom, on the occasion of laying the foundation stone of their new chapel, which cost £1,900.
They are somewhat sluggish in their religious feelings, except in times of great revivals, and these used to be expected periodically – about once in seven years. They are hard to move, difficult to awaken in ordinary times, but when aroused, and the divine fire begins to burn in their hearts, it is no ‘crackling of thorn under the pot.’
They were good and appreciative hearers, except on Sunday afternoons, when, wearied with their week’s work and under the balmy eloquence of some Mr Dry-as-dust, certain hypnotic manifestations – tendency to sleep – soon became visible. It was provoking, especially to a young preacher, to see them first listless, then begin to nod, then throw back their heads, gradually open their mouths and then give audible proofs to the soundness of their slumbers just when he was coming to his most eloquent point ! There is a patient elastic belt called ‘The Anti-Snorer’ sold now-a-days, for the purpose of keeping the mouth closed during sleep. Often during the last forty years, we have wished that some snorers in our chapels, who have not the excuse for sleeping that our Flamborough friends, had, could at least have their mouths closed during their slumbers, for they are apt to make wry faces and loud and confusing noises in their sleep.
For nearly seventy years this society has been composed of men and women of the best type – fervent in spirit, pure in life, plain and distinctive, not to say peculiar, in dress. It has been said that a Ritualist can be detected anywhere, a vocal Methodist can be heard in the dark, a Quaker can be picked out of a crowd, and for forty years, the female members of this society were distinctly individualistic in their mode of dress, which was called ‘modest apparel.’ Of course, they had their own ideas of what constituted ‘modest apparel.’ Fifty years ago, ‘red’ was the orthodox colour. A young woman, a recent convert, went to Bridlington to buy her summer attire, and amongst other things, wanted some red ribbon for her bonnet. ‘I have got convarted and ah want a modest colour to correspond, like,’ she said. ‘Well,’ replied Mr Allison, the writer’s cousin, ‘which shall it be? White? Yellow? Or lilac? Make thee choice, lass.’ ‘Nay, ah think a bit bleead reead (blood red) is as modest as owt gaing.’

At Flamboro’ we had, forty years ago, a number of men approaching the allotted span of life, who were ‘the pillars of our palace’ as one used to say – Leonard Mainprize, who not only a Christian man, but a manly Christian; Mr Anthony Hall, a master builder, who for some years lived on his own means; G. Holdsworth, and others whose names we cannot recall. As early as June 11th, 1837, the last two-named local preachers assisted in holding a camp meeting at Filey. They were devout, had well-balanced minds, were well read in Methodist theology, and they listened with critical gravity, especially to young preachers. It required no small amount of what we used to call ‘humble boldness,’ for youths who, without injustice, were called ‘mere lads,’ to preach before such men. When the writer, clad in a short blue jacket, and apparently not more than sixteen years old (for in those days he never did justice to his age), preached at Flamboro’ for the first time, some of these ‘grey beards’ listened with their chins on their chests, as if lost in bewilderment. The preacher’s grasp of Divine truth was so feeble that his effort reminded these aged men of the boy who taught his grandmother how to extract the contents of an egg. He hesitated, stammered, flung his arms about, grew red in the face and dim in the eyes, had a hard time, and he knew it, and the hearers knew it. His matter was more objectionable than his manners. When he stammered out – ‘You might inscribe upon the tombstone of many a wicked man, “It would have been well for this man if he had never been born,” ‘ Mr A. Hall, a good local preacher, shook his head in disapproval, and at the close of the service sharply rebuked the youth’s rashness. When an apologist pleaded, ‘Was not the saying true?’ Mr Hall replied cautiously, ‘It may be, but think of a lad like that saying it!’ When someone said, ‘He’ll improve,’ the only reply was a significant shrug and the elevation of his eyebrows, which betrayed a doubt too deep for words to express. These good old men seemed to feel towards the young preacher as the elder brothers did towards David: ‘We know the pride and haughtiness of thine heart.’ ‘ ‘Arry’ out lived this bit of prejudice; his youthfulness was a weakness out of which he gradually grew. His matter became more acceptable, though his garb did not become more parsonic. After he had preached one Sunday, Mr Hall went so far as to pay him the following compliment, slowly uttered – ‘I think I’ve heard many a worse sermon, my lad, than that thou preached this afternoon.’ The lad got so few compliments in those days that he tried meekly to wear this doubtful one. As ‘ ‘Arry’ crept slowly up the ladder that landed him in the Ministry (1849) his Flamboro’ friends rejoiced and helped him at every step; and when, after many years he appeared amongst them a veritable T.P., they were – pardon us for writing it – amazed! We used to write in our copy books this adage; ‘Self-praise is no recommendation.’ We feel inclined to question its accuracy. Self-praise is about the only recommendation some people ever get !

No account of the Flamboro’ society would be complete without reference to the late Vickerman Mainprize. He was the son of Mr L. Mainprize, whose life and example became an inspiration to his children. When eighteen years of age Vickerman was converted, and within two years became a local preacher and class leader.
When we first knew him he was in the prime of manly strength and a working fisherman. He had several narrow escapes from drowning. On one occasion he, along with two others (father and son, named Robson, members of our society and at whose home one of our ministers was entertained), fell victims to the raging sea, near Flamboro’ Head and our friend, after struggling until his strength was exhausted, and his tongue swollen until it filled his mouth, was rescued in what appeared his utmost extremity. He was yielding to despair when he seemed to hear a voice, as if from heaven, saying, ‘Look to the right, there is deliverance.’ He looked and saw a boat approaching, which soon afterwards took him safely to shore. Again, when helping to moor a vessel, on the Welsh coast, he was hurled by the force of a hurricane into the sea, and would have perished but for a boat which opportunely passed by. Once again, when securing a vessel which was in danger of being driven from its moorings, he got upon a plank, along which he was, with difficulty, crawling on his hands and knees, when he was blown into the water, from which he was rescued barely in time to save life. He retained ever afterwards a grateful recollection of these merciful deliverances and used to weave them into his sermons, in a very realistic way, with benefit to his hearers.
He was an ally of Mr Coulson in the mission which established our cause in Flamboro’. He often used to speak of those early triumphs, which he vividly remembered to his dying day and which he helped to achieve. For half a century he and his estimable wife made a home for the preachers, always giving them a most cordial welcome. He represented the Circuit at the District Meetings and Conferences. He laid the foundation stones of most of the chapels in the Bridlington Circuit and generously supported all our Connexional institutions. He was a total abstainer for many years, but towards the close of life and by his physician’s advice, he began, occasionally, to take intoxicants. His conscience however, was troubled, and going to God in prayer for divine guidance, the conviction fastened itself upon his mind that he ought to take no more strong drink for any purpose. He was obedient to the heavenly voice, and seemed to gain health and strength afterwards.
Mr Mainprize was one of those who are not spoiled by the change of fortune. For many years he was very poor, and picked up a precarious living on the sea, but about the year 1868 he became the possessor of a large fortune, and abandoned his perilous occupation. His heart, however, was not chilled by his wealth; he was as true, as humble, as prayerful and as devoted to Primitive Methodism at the end of his career as he was at the beginning. On taking the chair at the Kilham Chapel Anniversary (1877) he said, ‘I have served God forty-six years. Like Paul, I know what it is to be abased, and what it is to abound; what it is to be hungry and what it is to have more than I need. I was once very poor, now I am rich, but in the midst of all God has kept me, and by His grace I can say I have not lost an inch of my height, nor a pound of my weight, nor a drachm of my zeal.’ No topic of conversation gave this good old man more pleasure than a talk about the early days of Primitive Methodism. He died a few years ago in the full triumph of faith.

Our Catherine

Post by Our Catherine » Mon May 29, 2006 9:08 pm

I know this topic is very old, but I just found the group, so forgive me.

I have Stephenson in my family tree going way back. My Father was brough up by his grandparents (Elizabeth Stephenson and James Burton) in Flamborough

vixie72

Post by vixie72 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:43 pm

Hi
I know these topics are really old, but I have past relations from Flamborough. Knaggs and Kemp's. Anyone want any info, please reply!
Thanks

paulrookie5

Post by paulrookie5 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:39 am

Hi, I am new to the Forum but have been researching Lamplough/Lamplughs from Flamborough area for 2 years now. I have about 80 of them also incuding Garton,Kilham,Langtoft,Whitby,Scarborough and Hull. Alot of information via the East Riding Cousins, Kitty,Lin and Linda. Any more information would be appreciated especially if anyone has managed to link in the Cumberland Lamplughs. Many Thanks

Heke

Post by Heke » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:10 am

I have a family of Isaiah and Ann (nee CHAPMAN) RILEY whose last two children, twins George and Isiah, were born at Flamborough in March 1819. Their other children were William Chapman bapt.Cottingam 1809; Michael bapt.Burton Agnes 1813; and Thomas bapt.Burton Agnes 1814. Their father was a farmer.
It appears that Ann Riley died at Flamborough in March 1819, only six days after the twin boys were born, and although I can't find a marriage the Flamborough Parish Register records the baptisms of two further children to Isaiah with an Elizabeth Riley: Mary bapt. 1 July 1821, and Edmund bapt.13 April 1823. An Edmund Riley was living at Flamborough in the 1851 Census.
Our family descends from George Riley, but I'd be very interested in any information you might have on other members of this family.
Many thanks.

valerie

Post by valerie » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:55 am

My Flamboro family includes

Spike, Saudon, Rosdal, Hudson,F_____hill, Grey, Lamb etc.

My pedigree of interest is:
............................ / James Spyke /Spike b c 1650 Yorkshire, died Feb-March 1724/25. 8th Feb. 1724 (old Calendar) - Bridlington Parish Records m1: Elizabeth m2: Susana Pearson, 6 March 1697 m3. Ann Vickerman 21 May 1699
......................../ Bryan Spight/Spyke/Spike b c 1682 Bapt December 3, 1682 St Mary’s (The Priory) of Bridlington died c1765 buried Nov 15, 1765 M1 Elizabeth Burton Dec 30 1708 Hunmanby. M2: Mary before 1751
........................|..... Elizabeth LNU died January 1697/98 Burials January 14, 1697/98 Bridlington Parish Records
................../ James SPIKE c1717 Bapt Apr 7, 1717 Hunmanby Yorkshire England buried Flambourgh Feb 3, 1794. married1 December 3, 1741 Bempton
..................|.....|...../ John Burton b c 1648. died 1705 buried Feb 25, 1705 Hunmanby. Married Elizabeth Clarkson Oct 6, 1669 All Saints Church, Hunmanby, Yorkshire
..................|..... Elizabeth Burton bapt Jan 15, 1671 (oc) Hunmanby died before 1751.
..................|...........|...../ Thomas Clarkson
..................|........... Elizabeth Clarkson bapt Aug 1638 Hunmanby buried Feb 26, 1732 Hunmanby.
............/ Bryan SPIKE b 1743 bapt 26 June 1743 Flamborough, Yorkshire, England d: 1806, buried Sept 1 1806 Flam. ERY.
............|.....|.........../ James Sauton (Saudon) b c 1655 married Eliz Rosdale 15 Sept 1680 Flamboro
............|.....|...../ Thoms.Sawdon/Saudon Thomas ye son of James Saudon bapt 18 March 1687 oc Flamboror. married Isabell Hudson Jan 22, 1707 oc Flamb
............|.....|.....|..... Eliz Rosdale
............|..... Mary Sawdon baptized Sept 16, 1716. St. Oswalds, Flamborough m1 William Lamb son of Robt Lamb and Milcha Smith 26 Feb 1733 Flamborough, Yorkshire, married2 December 3, 1741 Bempton, Yorkshire
............|........... Isabell Hudson married Jan 22, 1707 oc Flamb
....../ Bryan SPIKE Christened: 19 June 1774 Flamborough, Yorkshire, Eng d: Jan 1841 - Harrowsmith, ONT,
......|..... Sarah F_____hill marr Bryan Spike Jan 11, 1774 Flamboro. by Banns d 1775 bur. Aug 4 1775 Flamborough

Additional information on the families include:

SPIKE
9. JAMES SPIKE (1717-1794) & MARY SAWDON LAMB (1716- )
James Spikeb c 1716/17 James son of Bryan Spike & Elizabeth Burton Bapt Apr 7, 1717 m: Mary Lamb, December 3, 1741 Bempton, Yorkshire, England died 1794 buried Flambourgh Feb 3, 1794. Flamboro Church Register James Spike Buried Febry 3rd 1794 (fragment of parish book PE 85/22 )
Mary Sawdon daughter of Thoms. Sawdon/Saudon & Isabell Hudson baptized Sept 16, 1716. St. Oswalds, Flamborough m1 William Lamb son of Robt Lamb and Milcha Smith bapt June 10th, 1709 St. Oswalds, Flamborough. buried March 9, 1738(oc) St. Oswalds, Flamborough. Marriage: 26 Feb 1733 Flamborough, Yorkshire, England m2: James Spike, 3 December 1741 Bempton, Yorkshire
Children of James Spike and Mary Lamb:
1 Bryan SPIKE Christened: 26 June 1743 Flamborough, Yorkshire, England Father: James SPIKE d: 1806, buried Sept 1 1806 Flam. ERY. M1. Sarah LNU M2. Margaret Harrison age 22 of Bempton Bonds 1 Dec 1775 Flamborough PC
2 James Spike bapt Sept 1 1745 Flamborough dy 1746 Bur Aug 22, 1746 Flamborough son of James Spike (IGI has him as James SPIEK - Christening: 1 Sep 1745 Flamborough, Yorkshire, England son of James SPIEK)
3 James Spike b 1747 Christened: 18 Oct 1747 Flamborough, Yorkshire. (C105932) Died 18 Dec 1827 age 80 bur Flam. 20 Dec 1827. marr. Ann LNU. Sacred to the memory of James Spike Senior of Flambro who departed this life on the 18th of December 1827 aged 80 years. Why should we mourn departed friends, or shake at death's alarms, 'tis but the voice that Jesus sends, to call us to his arms' (Buried 20th December)
William LAMB Lamb b 1709 William son of Robt Lamb and Milcah Smith bapt June 10th, 1709 St. Oswalds, Flamborough. died: 1738 (oc) buried March 9, 1738 St. Oswalds, Flamborough. Marriage: 26 Feb 1733 Flamborough, Yorkshire, Englan Mary SAWDON
Children of William Lamb and Mary Sawdon are.
Marey LAMB - F Christening: 23 Mar 1734 Flamborough, Yorkshire, England dau of William C105932 Marriage: 31 Dec 1754 Flamborough, Yorkshire, England Robert STOPHONSON/Stephenson. Witness Richard Grey and John Cape.
William Lamb. Wm son of Wm Lamb bapt Feb 12 1736 St. Oswalds, Flamborough. C105932
____ son of Mary Lamb buried Sept 9, 1739 St. Oswalds, Flamborough..
MILCHIA LAMB - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 18 NOV 1739 Flamborough, Yorkshire, England d/o William Lamb
John Chew & Milca Lamb married by Banns 28 Dec 1761 in Bempton. Witness John Dawson Moor & Robert Biddley. John Chew son of John Chew and Margaret Edmund

Brearley, Frank (1971) A History of Flamborough Publisher Ridings/Halstead, 1971 Class No. 942.74
Page 51 “For many years before this, interest in the chuch music seems to have been increasing and the churchwardens in 1783 paid at Jas. Spikes when Bempton Salem Singers cane and at Easter – 12 6d!”

P187 The inhabitants of Flamborough who signed the Declaration of Loyalty to King George III in 1773: (includes)
Leonard Mainprize,
Bryant Spike
James Spike
John Spike

*QSF/139/C/9 John Mainprize ploughwright and James Spike blacksmith both of Flambrough to prosecute Thomas Coulson aprrentice to James Spike for Felony c 1742
QSF/139/C/39 Information of John Mainprize of Flamborough ploughwright – theft of money by Thomas Coulson apprentice to James Spike of Flambrough blacksmith c 1742
QSF/223/D/16 Information of James Spike blacksmith and Matthew Pockley fisherman both of Flamborough – Theft of beef by John Crofton of Flamborough fisherman c1764.
QSF/223/C/20 James Spikes blacksmith, Matthew Pockley fisherman both of Flamborough to give evidence against John Croft of Flamborough, fisherman for theft c1764.
Cooper, George H. (1944) Flamborough: Folk-Lore of Ancient Fishing Village, The Chalet, North Landing.
Flamboro Church Warden Accounts 1733-1793
Chruch rates at a pence a pound.
~1734 pd for 5 pound of Spyke ch... shaping os window bar & 1s2p; Pd for apec of Blank 1:51/2 pouds of Spykes 1s4p; Rates: William Lamb 0£ 0s 02p

1736 rates William Lamb 4p
1737 rates Will. Lamb 6p
1739 rates Mary Lamb 6p
1740 rates Mary Lamb 6p; Mary Lamb ye Elder 0£ 0s 0p
1741 A rate tax by the Church Wardens and the inhabitants at 3 pence per pound for the use of the church. Widow Lamb 4 1/2p;
1741/2 rate 6p per pound: James Spooke 1s9p,
1743 rate 1p per pound: James Spicke 2p ;
April 11 1744 2pence/pound: Jamces Spick 3p
1745 4 pence a pound:: JamesSPIEK 8p
1750 2p/£: James Spike 6p
1751 4p/£: James Spike 8p
1751 2p/£: James Spik 04p
1753 2p/£ James Spike 4p; Pd to James Spike for Church Christ band 6p;
1755 2p/£: James Spoiek 4p
1756 3p/£: James Spiek 6p
1757 3p/£: James Spike 6d
1758 2p/£: James Spick 4p
1759 (missing pages)
1760 3p/£
1762 -Pd for Spike of my owne 6p
1762 2p/£: James Spike 4p
1763 2p/£: Jam Spike 4p; Spent at James Spike at Ramlation [Perambulation ] 16s 9 p [at Dog & Duck?]
1764 4p/£: James Spike 8p
1766 2p/£: James Spike 4p
1767 1p/£: James Spike 4 1/2 p
1768 1p/£: James Spike 4 1/2 p; Paide to Brian Spike for work 1s;
1769 1p/£: James Spike 9p;
1770 1p/£: James Spike 4p
1772 1p/£: James Spike 4 1/2p
1773 1p/£: rent1”6 Bryan Spike 0 0 1p; 6”10 James Spike 0 0 6 1/2p; Pd Bryan Spike for 2 Lock; Rangemending 6s 8p
1774 1p/£: Rent: 1”0 Bryan Spike 0 0 1p; 6”10 James Spike 0 0 6 1/2p; Pd Bryan Spike for work 1s 10p
1775 Spent at Jame Spicks when ould Churchwardens gave in theeir a****s 3s 6p
(top of page missing) 4 “ 10 James Spike 0 4 1/2p
1776/5
1776/7 1p/£: 1 Bryan Spike 1p; 6”10 James Spike; Pd Bryan Spike for work at School House 1s,
1777/8 Pd Bryan Spike for nails 1s 7p, rate 2p/£: 1”0 Bryan Spike 2p; 6”10 James Spike
1777/8 .5p/£: 1”0 Bryan Spike 1/2p; 6”10 James Spike 3 1/4p;
1778/9 1p/£: 1”0 Bryan Spike 1p; 6”10 James Spike 6 1/4p

SAUDON/ SAWDON / SODON
10. Thomas Saudon & Isabell Hudson
Thomas Saudon Thomas ye son of James Saudon bapt 18 March 1687 oc Flamboror. Thomas Saudon & Isabell Hudson married Jan 22, 1707 oc Flamb
Eliz. Wife of Thomas Sodan bur Oct 24, 1709
Will the son of Thomas Sodan bapt Oct 24, 1709 – Will son of Thomas Sodan bur Dec 1, 1709
Richard son of Thomas Sawdon bapt 1712-1713 St. Oswalds, Flamborough .
Mary daughter of Thoms. Sawdon baptized Sept 16, 1716. St. Oswalds, Flamborough . MARY SAWDON - Marriage: 26 FEB 1733 Flamborough, Yorkshire, England William Lamb
James the son of Thomas Sodden bapt 23 April 1721 St. Oswalds, Flamborough .
Elizabeth dau of Thomas Sawdon bapt Oct 18, 1724 Flam ELIZABETH SAWDON - Marriage: 25 FEB 1752 Flamborough, Yorkshire, England WILLIAM STAVELEY
Poss Isabel Sawdon – Isabell Sawdon marrie Edward Hall May 26, 1741 Flamb. ISABEL SAWDON - International Genealogical Index EDWARD HALL Marriage: 26 MAY 1741 Flamborough, Yorkshire, England
James Saudon & Isabell Woolfolk marr Nov 30, 1724 Flamb.
Thomas Soddon buried Dec 28, 1729.

11 James Sauton (Saudon) & Eliz Rosdale
James Sauton (Saudon) & Eliz Rosdale were married 15 Sept 1680 Flamboro
James Saudon bur May 12, 1740Eliz Rosdal m: 1680. Elizabeth the dau of John Rosdaile bapt 14 Dec 1662 Flam Elizabeth wife of James Saudon buried 20 Jan 1718.
Children of James Sauton (Saudon) & Eliz Rosdale
George son of James Sawton bapt Jan 15, 1681 Flam
Richard s/o James Sawton Bapt 4 June 1684 Flam
Alice ye dau of James Sawton bapt Jan 30, 1685. Flam.Ales ye daughter of James Saudon buried 8 Feb 1685. Flamboro
James ye son of James Sauden Bapt 13 Feb 1686. James ye son of James Saudon buried 22 May 1687 Flamboro
Thomas Saudon Thomas ye son of James Saudon bapt 18 March 1687 oc Flamboror. Thomas Saudon & Isabell Hudson married Jan 22, 1707 oc Flamb
Mary ye daughter of James Saudon bapt 1690 Flamboro
James Saudon & Isabell Woolfolk marr Nov 30, 1724 Flamb.

12. ROSDALE
Elizabeth the dau of John Rosdaile bapt 14 Dec 1662 Flam
Robert ye son of John Rosdale bapt 18 March 1665/6 Flam Robert ye son of John Rosdails was buried 14 June 1666.
John ye son of John rosdal bapt May 1667 Flam
James ye sonne of Boyd Rosdall bapt 19 May 1658 Flam
Elizabeth Rosdell, widow bur 10 July 1658 Flam
John Rosdale bur Dec 3, 1684 Flam
Francy Rosdale bur Dec 31, 1684. Flam
Nicholas Fisher & Eliz Rosdale married 27 Nov 1688 Flam – James the son of Nicholas Fisher bapt Feb 14, 1694.
Margaret Rosdale bur Feb 26, 1630 Flam
John, the son of John Rosdel bur Aug 20, 1626.
Christopher Hudson bur Jan 1632.
Valerie

Spike Family Genealogy

Nette

Post by Nette » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:31 pm

Hi! I've read through all the messages and haven't found anything about the Glenton family of Flamborough. My gg grandmother was Ann Elizabeth Glenton b 9 Sep 1841 in the workhouse at Bridlington [illegitimate]. Her mother was Hannah Glenton. We think Hannah was b in abt 1821 in Flamborough. She had a brother David b abt 1820 In Flamborough and they were both illegitimate. Their mother was Ann Glenton b abt 1800 who looked after my gg grandmother when she was young. We can find nothing more about Hannah. Ann married [in 1825] Robert Story b about 1801 in Helmsley Blackmoor.
If anyone has any info about any of these people would they please contact me.

Jan

Martin Cross

Post by Martin Cross » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:49 am

Nette: I have quite a bit of information about the Glenton's of Flamborough, starting with Francis Glenton, 1736-1816, and his wife, Ann Hodgson, b.1749. They married at Flamborough on 15 July 1766. I don't currently have you Ann Elizabeth or Hannah in my tree, but I'm sure they'll fit in somewhere. Do you know anything about their earlier ancestors?