Driffield Secondary School mid 1960's

IMPORTANT!!Please do not create new requests in this section.Feel free to reply to the existing messages, but all new requests etc should be posted under the appropriate 'Surname' sections below.

Driffield Secondary School mid 1960's

Postby grinwolf » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:30 pm

Is there anyone out there who went to the Boys school at Driff. secondary in the mid 1960's.
The boys and girls schools went co -ed in September 1965 - or was it 64?

When I started the boys school, Mr Dukes was the Head master, and his deputy was Mr. Taylor.
Here is a list of the other male teachers in the school:-

Mr. Hoffman, Mr. Mesheda, Mr. Wray, Mr Fell, Mr. Ralf. Mr. Stobbs, Mr. Windass, Mr. Spirite, Mr M. Parker(there had previously been another Parker), Mr. Burfield, Mr. Poxton, Mr. Wrigley, Mr. Wilson. Mr Wingrave, Mr. Sissons, Mr Buxton.

In or around 1964, Mr Dukes was suceeded by Mr Harrison as Head Master.

Sometime between 1960 and 1964, Mr John Hoffman suffered a heart attack and died whilst on the school site. Can't remember who succeeded him.

Mrs Lucy Smith was the head cook, and Miss Sybil Leason was the school secretary.
grinwolf

Re: Driffield Secondary School mid 1960's

Postby SueG » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Mrs Hoffman taught at the girls school - RE when I was there. Mr Hoffman died in 1964
Sue
SueG

Postby grinwolf » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi Sue, did you or anyone out there have any contact with their son Paul - think that was his name, last time I heard of him, he was working as an assistant in Jacksons supermarket on Saturdays, with his friend Derek Wilkes - what happened to Wilksie?
Grinwolf
grinwolf

Postby SueG » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:00 am

No I didn't know Paul - I left in 63. When Mr Hoffman died they lived up Brid Road, but after that Mrs Hoffman moved to one of the two houses by the school gate and I did visit her once probably about 65 or 66. She was a very nice lady.
Sue
SueG

Return to Wolds Genealogy