List of WW1 Names on Sledmere Cross

Wolds Wagoners [SIC] Reserve, a regiment that Lt Col. Sir Mark SYKES squire of Sledmere raised from the local rural population, they formed a core of an elite troop of horsemen much in demand throughout the army to maintain a stead supply of materials and munitions to the frontline.
Karol

List of WW1 Names on Sledmere Cross

Post by Karol » Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:52 pm

Hi,we are doing our family tree, and have found that one of my husbands relations was killed in WW1 and his name may be listed on the Cross in Sledmere. Would anyone have a photograph or a listing of the names. We live just near Brisbane Australia, and it's not possible for us to come and look for ourselves. We are looking for John Anderson who was in the Green Howards and died at the Somme.
Thanks, Karol Cartwright

kduke

Post by kduke » Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:08 pm

Karol, may I sugest that you read the Topic "Wolds Wagoners Special Reserve" as this person is researching a military voluntary unit formed in the East Yorkshire during WWI. The cross that you mention does not carry any names. Although I come from the Driffield area, I now live in Germany, so i am unable to help you further. Regards Ken Duke

kduke

Post by kduke » Sun Feb 17, 2002 1:22 pm

Hi Karol, I have to apologize, I did not read your message properly. If John Anderson did serve in the Green Howards then their Regimental Museum may be in the best position to help although they would need details. Try http://freespace.virgin.net/edward.nich ... hgreen.htm. They also give tips on other web sites that could be of help. I am going back to Yorkshire in August 2002 for a couple of weeks, if I can be of help let me know. Good luck with your search. Ken.