Wolds Wagoners Special Reserve

Wolds Wagoners [SIC] Reserve, a regiment that Lt Col. Sir Mark SYKES squire of Sledmere raised from the local rural population, they formed a core of an elite troop of horsemen much in demand throughout the army to maintain a stead supply of materials and munitions to the frontline.
RichardH

Wolds Wagoners Special Reserve

Post by RichardH » Tue Nov 27, 2001 10:56 pm

I am trying to research the history of this military unit unique to the Wolds. Raised in 1913 by Sir Mark Sykes of Sledmere Hall, they were integrated into the Army Service Corps after the outbreak of the 1st World War.

If there is anyone who has any information regarding this unit, and the fates of the volunteers, I would be grateful indeed as so little seems to be in the public domain. A Role of Honour would be very special, if anyone has complied one please.

edbeer

Post by edbeer » Wed Nov 28, 2001 1:31 pm

If you are in the Sledmere area then I suggest checking out Sledmere monument maybe ?

RichardH

Post by RichardH » Wed Nov 28, 2001 6:39 pm

Unfortunately, I am located in Hull, which although not being too far distant, I am, housebound through illness, and likely to remain so. The Wagoners memorial, while being wonderfully carved, does not hold any names, if it had, things might have been so much easier. As it is, I am currently trying to contact the Royal Logistics Corps, the vicar of Sledmere, and several other possible leads. Thanks though for the reply, any other suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

nell

Post by nell » Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:31 pm

There is a display of material about the waggoners at Sledmere House in one of the outbuildings near the shop. I'm sure there was a roll of honour. Have you contacted the house?

RichardH

Post by RichardH » Thu Nov 29, 2001 3:41 am

Thanks indeed, this is one lead I can try and follow up on, just the kind of thing I was hoping for, thanks once more !!! :-)