Wolds Wagoners Special Reserve.

Wolds Wagoners [SIC] Reserve, a regiment that Lt Col. Sir Mark SYKES squire of Sledmere raised from the local rural population, they formed a core of an elite troop of horsemen much in demand throughout the army to maintain a stead supply of materials and munitions to the frontline.
Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:14 pm

The answer is Yes, Edmund.

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:42 am

Ta very much [:D]

RichardH

Post by RichardH » Tue May 02, 2006 10:42 pm

Thanks for the plug Plook, always appreciated. Since your post however, I have made a large up-date to the article about the Wagoners. It now includes a PDF of some 1127 men and their details all of whome were in the Wagoners. I have also added 4 images of the Hodgson brothers, all of whom were in the Wagoners, two of the images show them in uniform, and two in mufti.
How special it would be if we could gather together as many images of the men of the Wagoners, and in some small way reunite them. So, a plea to everyone out there, please, if you, your family, or your friends have phtographic images of these men, no matter when it was taken, PLEASE get in touch at richard@yorkshirehistory.com The site, as Plook said, can be directly accessed at: http://www.yorkshirehistory.com/wagon/index.htm

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Wed May 03, 2006 1:06 am

Got a photo of me grandad later on when he joined East Kents will that do?

RichardH

Post by RichardH » Wed May 03, 2006 10:13 pm

I am really after photo's of the Wagoners but that said, the images of all old Yorkshire soldiers are more than welcome, please send it on together with a caption of who he was, and a brief history of him if known please.

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Thu May 04, 2006 5:39 pm

Aye he was a Wagoner but aint got any pics of im in that uniform.

RichardH

Post by RichardH » Thu May 04, 2006 6:13 pm

Dear Edmund, of the last four uploaded images of Wagoners, only two are of them in uniform. It does not matter, to me anyway what they are wearing, the uniform of the Wagoners, the uniforms of other units, or as with the other two recently uploaded images, mufti!

RichardH

Post by RichardH » Sat May 06, 2006 10:45 pm

863 Henry Duffin has been successfully uploaded to
http://www.yorkshirehistory.com/wagon/index.htm
My thanks to Edmund for sharing his grandfather with us.

If there are more photographic memories of the Wagoners out there, please contact me so that they too can be included at the above site. What an ambition it could be, to have photographic images of ALL the Wagoners, what better memorial can there be?
Emails to: richard@yorkshirehistory.com

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Sun May 07, 2006 2:58 am

Aint there a book in Sledmere choch or summet , does this give any more details about them?

RichardH

Post by RichardH » Sun May 07, 2006 10:24 am

There is indeed such a book Ed., which is great for anyone able enough to physically get there to view it. My site now contains a PDF with 1127 names and details of Wagoners too, but, both are currently without images of the men, and it is to re-unite the faces of the men with their other details which is such an ambitious project. It is quite surprising also just how many decendants of the Wagoners have moved throughout the world. I am aware of one who currently lives in the Middle-east, and for them to access the Wagoner's Book, is just an impossibility. So the more we can get online, the more the 'family' of the Wagoners can also re-unite.