Wolds Wagoners Special Reserve.

Wolds Wagoners [SIC] Reserve, a regiment that Lt Col. Sir Mark SYKES squire of Sledmere raised from the local rural population, they formed a core of an elite troop of horsemen much in demand throughout the army to maintain a stead supply of materials and munitions to the frontline.
SueG

Post by SueG » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:56 pm

I got my copy from the shop at Sledmere House
Sue

telefender

Post by telefender » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:22 pm

I am looking for details of William and Charles Thompson both of whom were surviving wagoners who hailed from the Middleton area.

Wakki

Post by Wakki » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:38 pm

hi I was just sending an email to sledmere house regarding the waggoner's memorial. Just to say hello from me (Carlo Magnoni's Great Great Grandaughter). [:)]

Wakki

Post by Wakki » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:40 pm

sorry forgot to mention, Carlo Magnoni is the sculpture of the Waggoner's Memorial:

petert

Post by petert » Sun May 29, 2005 12:48 pm

quote:Originally posted by nell
Please can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the Sumner book. I am trying to find out about James Malster who was a waggoner and survived the war.
Thanks
James Malster was my Grandfather, what kind of information would you like.

DF

Post by DF » Mon May 30, 2005 5:41 pm

quote:Originally posted by Richard Kidals
i wish to find information on Tom Bulmer (my Grandfather) and the Wolds Wagoners. Tom joined the Wolds Wagoners in 1913 and in addition received the Military Medal. Tom Bulmer married Gertrude Shipley (and she was from a family of 15 her Father was John James Shipley from Nafferton.
Tom died in 1958 - any info...greatly appreciated on the Bulmer Family and Shipley Family plus any info on The Wagoners. I have a very good short book called "A History of the Wolds Wagoners Special Reserve" By Museum of Army Transport which mentions Tom Bulmer Page 18 & 19.
I have bought a book (off e-bay) of WW1 letters from the front from Dee. As yet, i cannot find Tom Bulmer referred to in this detailed collection - although Tom Bulmer obtained the Military Medal referred to (plus copy letter) on page 18/19 of above book.

Do you know who John James Shipley's Father was? We have a James Shipley born 1848 Nafferton, He was the Brother of my Great Grandmother and Son of James and Arrabella. [:)]
DF

nell

Post by nell » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:54 pm

quote:Originally posted by petert
quote:Originally posted by nell
Please can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the Sumner book. I am trying to find out about James Malster who was a waggoner and survived the war.
Thanks
James Malster was my Grandfather, what kind of information would you like.

I have found him in the Sumner book and have quiet a lot of info on him if you would like to contact me

gerardine

Post by gerardine » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:35 pm

quote:Originally posted by Wakki
hi I was just sending an email to sledmere house regarding the waggoner's memorial. Just to say hello from me (Carlo Magnoni's Great Great Grandaughter). [:)]

I am currently researching the sculpture collection at Sledmere House for a forthcoming published 'sculpture trail'. (I am also researching the collections at Burton Agnes and Burton Constable.) I have not been able to track down any biographical details on Carlo Magnoni or any details of his career as a sculptor. Any help or advice you could offer would be appreciated.

gmmucahy
gmmucahy

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:11 am

You all will probably have seen this site but its got a lot of information:

www.yorkshirehistory.com/wagon/index.htm

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:28 pm

Anyone please know if the CHT prefix of the service number was unique to the Wagoners[?]