Cattle Market proposed HGV route video

Discussion about the controversial planning proposals for the land to the East of Middle Street which includes the former Driffield Cattle Market site
OldAdmin

Cattle Market proposed HGV route video

Post by OldAdmin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:08 am

"The East Riding of Yorkshire Council have suggested that, with few traffic calming measures in place, the route along Albion Street and Eastgate South is suitable for between 20 and 30 lorries a day."

Our friends at www.driffieldcattlemarket.co.uk thought they would give it a try - take a look at their experiment as they drove an articulated lorry along the route on Thursday evening...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W4CamSB175Q

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:45 pm

If the proposed development goes ahead with this type of traffic it demonstrates to me that those individuals have given NO thought to the safety , quality of life of anyone in Driffield and they should be ashamed of themselves. How stupid can you get to support this development? Well done to all that was involved in this video they have done more for Driffield than the b*****ds who approved this development in the Cattle Market.

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:56 pm

Even without using an articulated lorry it must have been obvious to anyone at ERYC with a brain (if such a person exists) that the route is simply not suitable.
Likewise you cannot get access from New Road/Exchange street which then leaves Harper St, again not practical.

chimp64

Post by chimp64 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:05 pm

Thanks guys for adding a link to our video. It has caused a lot of interest - even getting us onto ITV news. Can I urge anyone who feels the same way about this planned superstore to go to www.driffieldcattlemarket.co.uk and send us an email?

Also, you could you write to the head of strategic planning at ERYC. The details are:

James Chatfield
ERYC Strategic Planning
County Hall
Beverley
HU17 9BA

The application number for the cattle market plan is
DC/06/05600/STPLF/STRAT/JC2

You could also copy your letter to one of the local councilors -
Felicity Temple - ftemple at tesco.net

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Thu May 15, 2008 2:32 am

Yo People,

As Pete said about ERYC, if anybody has a brain there - they haven't. As well as being out of touch and arrogant as usual - along with Driffield Town Council who would put Hitler to shame.

kroggy

Post by kroggy » Sat May 24, 2008 5:26 pm

We all want to make Driffield a town to be proud of, to hold onto some of its traditions but we also need to be realistic about its future.
After viewing the video of the lorry weaving its way through the tight narrow streets of Driffield I seem to wonder how on earth the planners can justify building super markets on the site at all?

The congestion caused, let alone the noise for all of the people who live on the designated route; I really feel that not enough thought has gone into the plans at all. Perhaps Mr Parmby and the rest of the ERYC , would like to live somewhere within the proposed vehicle route; then they may have second thoughts.
Having said that, no matter what you build on the site will have its upsides and its downsides to every scheme that is proposed. From noise levels to car congestion, litter to the types of shops; someone somewhere wont be happy.

The whole area of the town center has to be updated and not just 'the cattle market', this of course needs money – a lot of it! If you look only 10 miles south to Beverley you will see that everyone benefits in the end, a pedestrianised town center, quality shops, cafe bars and restaurants – and that all adds up to a far better town financially and better growth with regards to employment as businesses will want to expand and move into a thriving town, and not to other areas close by such as Beverley etc.

I once read a comment on this forum which stated that Driffield is nothing more than a 'satalite town', those words are true, and that is quite simply because it is approximately 10 years behind and holding onto its old values. Hence to say that people will travel further afield to buy goods due to the limitations that the town holds now, but that doesn't mean that 'we' cannot expand on what we all ready. Having 2 supermarkets will 'kill' the town center if there is no proposal for upgrading the main high street, after all visitors to Driffield don't just want to sit in a car park of a super market they want to explore real shops – and that is why the town center should NOT be neglected!

Pedestrianise and 'upgrade' Market Place and parts of Middle Street and put the heart back into Driffield before it's too late!

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:44 pm

Is it true that the developers wanted to re-route the beck?

If so, I hope that this is rejected outright. If Ministers dare to impose this on the town, I hope we can muster up some militants to prevent it by whatever means necessary?

Andy Rafter

Post by Andy Rafter » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:42 am

Yes its true they are planning to "re-route" the beck to accomadate a loading bay. It has been announced this morning the Cattle Market application by the Supermarket developers is to be heard by the Strategic Planners in Beverley next Thursday (19th June). There will be a 3 MINUTE SLOT for any objections to be made by one person. The developers get HALF AN HOUR ! If it is passed no one can object to the decision, if it is rejected the developers have the right to appeal.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:13 pm

If anyone is attending, can I cadge a lift? It must be stopped.

If this is passed, we really, really need to organise a campaign to stop it and prevent any interference to the beck.

I feel very strongly about this.

DF

Post by DF » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:03 pm

Who do they think they are?? It would be Sacrilege to re-route the beck!!! It is one of the main features of Driffield - it's like saying they are going to take the sea away from Brid.