does driffield matter?

Discussion about the controversial planning proposals for the land to the East of Middle Street which includes the former Driffield Cattle Market site
former_resident

does driffield matter?

Post by former_resident » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:04 pm

ok so you live there, what else? do you really care what goes on. most people go shopping to hull or york and the lucky ones to leeds. what careers with advancement a really on offer there?

i once lived in that town, and i moved away. when i come back to visit friends i see that the town of become just another clone town. there is no real depth of character to any of the town centre. a millenium clock which did not even work at the turn of the millenium! speed bumps that just crumbled under the weight of choking traffic delivering goods to the faceless shops. many 'tat' retailers in new featureless buildings. im sorry but driffield should revert to the name 'dirtfield' as i believe it once was.

the town has also expanded to it extreme limits with new housing estates that boast nothing to the self respecting person.

i lived there for longer than i care to talk about. i have many good friends there. however i am put off visiting them because it is so dreary to enter. moreover the only good thing to come out of driffield is the road!

thanks for reading now look after your mind, and leave that dull, small minded little town.

romric

Post by romric » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:29 pm

This has got to be a wind-up, but I will rise to the bait.

I too moved away from Driffield after working there for some time. Unlike yourself, I always look forward to visiting Driffield and do so as often as I can.
I find that people make places, and I always find the locals very friendly and helpful, and there is still a good variety of shops with overall good efficient services. The town compares favourably with other market towns of similar size and yes, Driffield has a traffic problem but which town today does'nt.
It is much easier to criticise than join in the with the community and try to make things better.
The road that comes out of Driffield also brings people into the town, and perhaps the people of Driffield are sighing with relief that you took the road out.
Richard Lamplugh

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:21 am

'clone town' ? far from it. It has resisted the usual rubbish that takes over towns so far such as Macdonalds, KFC, Burgerking and countless other big name coffee shops.
Traffic problems are mainly due to lazy buggars travelling to and from schools with their precious ones. I can't understand why anyone in the town needs to drive to Cross Hill infants school since it's catchment area is that end of town

DF

Post by DF » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:23 pm

I think very fondly of Driffield.
We lived there from 1937 to 1939, when there were picture houses where I saw Shirley Temple!!! Our coal was delivered by horse and cart and there were chocolate machines on the station.
On moving to a farm 3 miles away we biked in for shopping.
I have lived in S.E.London, Scarborough, Watford and although I have lived in Bridlington for the last 38 years feel more at home in Driffield and come through often - the town was buzzing on Thursday when we were last there.
Driffield Show is second to none. The town has a lot to offer take no notice of the "wet blanket" Constructive criticism is acceptable but there is no excuse for negativity.

madmini

Post by madmini » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:15 pm

Oh dear, i moved to Driffield from west yorkshire a few years ago now, i think its a beautiful,place to live and bring up children, the only down point i have is i have never seen so many bad drivers lol and i have met a few quite ignorant people but maybe thats just there way eh.

I could not wait to move to a small town, away from the hussle and bustle, i don't think people who are born and bred here appreicate it to be honest.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Min, the driving is terrible and the parking is a joke. No where except Driffield are people with disabled permits allowed to park dangerously. I assume double yellow lines are there for a purpose which we follow to provide a safe environment until some twerp with a disabled permit parks and the traffic warden and our pretend police are to thick to do anything about it.

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:13 pm

Yo People,

I have to admit (once again) that one thing that is noticable about Driffield is the sheer number of rude, arrogant, selfish, dangerous and incompetent drivers who think that the only thing that matters when they are behind the wheel is their own precious journey.

They blow horns and gesticulate at anybody having the 'nerve' to park outside their homes, wash or maintain their vehicles or unload shopping. I suppose it just demonstrates what intellectually subnormal, uncultured animals they and their relatives are. Sorry for my somewhat aggressive tone, but still we see these louts treating the roads of Driffield as their own private racetrack and whilst often many drivers may technically be within the 30mph speed limit, they are nevertheless guilty of driving at speeds way in excess of what is safe in various circumstances i.e. where parked vehicles are relatively close together (oh, don't tell me, our mindless councillors will no doubt come up with yet another idiotic plan to waste more taxpayers money of more yellow lines [not outside their own homes of course!] rathers than actually deal with the actual problem of lazy, rude, arrogant, dangerous and incompetent drivers.

Tally ho folks!

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:18 pm

Yo Again People,

Just to get back on the main topic, Driffield is a nice enough town and there are far worse places. You hear teens complaining about there being nothing here but I think that a lot of that is due to their not having flown the nest and seen something of life yet.

Yes, you go to college and university and see the big city life, the clubs, pubs, restaurants, cinemas, etc but there does come a point where, whilst not ceasing to enjoy that sort of thing anymore, you do get a sense of burnout and a feeling of 'yet another boozy night with your uni mates', etc, is there nothing new ?

I find Driffield a nice place and Scarborough, Hull, York, Leeds are all there if you feel like a big night out or a days shopping but it is nice to get away from the sense of overwhelming hustle and bustle which does get somewhat wearing when you are surrounded by it 24/7.