Cattle Market/Tesco/Viking Center development plan

Discussion about the controversial planning proposals for the land to the East of Middle Street which includes the former Driffield Cattle Market site
apokalipse

Cattle Market/Tesco/Viking Center development plan

Post by apokalipse » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:30 pm

Anyone who wants to view the plans for these new developments can do so here online.

There is also the ability to submit comments and say whether or not you support these developments on the form. Now is our chance to comment on these plans and hopefully get some conditions imposed on these developments so that the services we want in Driffield might actually finally be provided, like a Cinema or Bowling alley which are so often talked about but never materialise!

The links you need are:

Cattle Market A - http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/PublicAcce ... D37BJFD000
Cattle Market B - http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/PublicAcce ... QFUBJ03H00
Tesco A - http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/PublicAcce ... XBZBJFA000
Tesco B - http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/PublicAcce ... 7V3BJFA000
Viking Center - http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/PublicAcce ... H7WBJ0AF00

Please take a few minutes of your time to give feedback to the people who approve these decisions. I went to the meeting at the Bell Hotel and I seemed to be the only person there under 50, which meant mostly that the rest of the people there just complained about traffic problems. Yes traffic problems do exist in Driffield, but think of the bigger picture. These sites have a history of receiving lots of traffic, one guy was complaining about trucks arriving at the tesco site up what is currently the old Kwik Save entrance. This entrance has had trucks arrive for years and was never a problem before, so why will it be one with the new Tesco?? It'll probably be better with one of the plans as it's for trucks only and not cars.

This is a good opportinity for some facilities people want in Driffield, so let's tell them so.

slimjim

Post by slimjim » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:09 pm

At the meeting at County Hall in Beverley, Councillors on the The East Riding of Yorkshire Council's Planning Committee have today deferred their decisions on all three of these major applications until a later date.

It is now time for us residents to have a think about what implications these 3 proposed developments are going have on the Town centre??

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:15 pm

quote:It is now time for us residents to have a think about what implications these 3 proposed developments are going have on the Town centre??
We can let our thoughts be heard, but it people should accept that Tesco will be building a bigger store with their own interests at heart despite what their propoganda about how they care for the town.

Also, as much as people say 'we need community facilities' this needs backing up. Ask yourself who is going to pay for not only the building, but the ongoing running costs of these community facilities. If we want these things then we need to be finding a way to fund them.
Any ideas?

Limey

Post by Limey » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:47 am

Once again it seems like progress is going to be stopped in Driffield. I know a lot of you will say it is none of my business seeing as how I no longer live there but I still have a lot of family there and Driffield will always be my home town. What is it that people have against progress? I can remember when the Driffield by pass was being discussed, it took at least 20 years for it to come to be. I know there are more people living in Driffield than there were when I lived there and things are needed in the town. I was extremely sorry to hear about the Alfred Bean hospital situation. What do people do if they can't drive, don't have anyone to drive them or don't have the money to catch a bus??????

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:40 pm

In words of one sentence Limey, they will probably die!
Seriously, as one of the contributors to the forum says quite frequently, this is Apathyville, capital of the wolds. No-one can be bothered or thinks it won't affect them. Time will tell!!

kroggy

Post by kroggy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:13 pm

I actually wondered who owned the cattle market land, no names of the directors; just the main title: Driffield Cattle Market Company Ltd
Then I thought well lets see who the directors are, sadly I could not access this from Companies House, but the following did surprise me a little as I thought the company would be local.

DRIFFIELD CATTLE MARKET COMPANY LIMITED
MILLFIELD BARN, PICKWELL LANE
BOLNEY
HAYWARDS HEATH
WEST SUSSEX RH17 5RH
Company No. 00173178

Now what does someone who has a registered office in West Sussex give a damn about what is being built on some disused site 250 miles North?
Do the Directors live locally, does anyone have an answer...

Have Your Say About Driffield
http://www.LetMeHaveMySay.com

mercury

Post by mercury » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:18 am

As you may have read in the paper last week the Tesco George Street proposal is back up for discussion at County Hall on Thursday. It's open house for these things, so, if you want to see where your taxes go, why not pop along.

slimjim

Post by slimjim » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:02 pm

At the meeting at County Hall today (20/03/08) The East Riding of Yorkshire Council's planning committee have given their backing for Tesco to build a huge new store on the George Street and old Quicksave site. The councillors voted 10 votes in favour to 4 against.

The plans will now be forwarded to the Secretary of State for approval. http://www.planning-inspectorate.gov.uk/pins/index.htm

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Published Date: 05 February 2010
PLANS for three new supermarket developments in Driffield have been backed by East Riding of Yorkshire councillors .

The schemes for development of the former cattle market on Eastgate South and the Viking Centre on Middle Street North, together with an application to vary vehicle access hours at the Tesco site on George Street were all deferred and delegated for approval at the council's planning committee meeting in Beverley yesterday, Thursday

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:10 pm

On the 3rd Feb 2010 said:..................

"DRIFFIELD cannot accommodate all three of the long-planned supermarket developments in the town in the short term, a new East Riding of Yorkshire Council-commissioned review reveals.
But planning officers are still supporting the plans for the cattle market on Eastgate South, the Viking Centre on Middle Street North and Tesco on George Street after the study indicated it was "unlikely" that proposals for the cattle market could be delivered in the near future.

The report also concludes that the cattle market proposal is unlikely to have an unacceptable impact on the town centre in the longer term."

Then 2 days later on the 5th Feb 2010 state the previouse post do they not contridict themselves?-or is it me?