Discussion about the controversial planning proposals for the land to the East of Middle Street which includes the former Driffield Cattle Market site
Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:30 pm

Well, sad Heron closed down, also sad yet another charity shop has taken over the premisis. This adds more to the on going saga that a "supermarket" wants to move to the Cattle Market area. Come on Driffield Town Council, if you dont want a major supermarket leader to use the Cattle Market area give "shoppers" a better choice....not more charity shops. I appreciate the work all charity shops do but there is a limit is there not on the number we have in the town. If the Town council want to attract more people to the area a charity shop is not going to do it for you is it? with all respect.
We have a local and expanding area to look after, lets not go down the road of more charity shops than you can shake a stick at, with not much else on the menu.
I want Driffield and the surrounding area to do well in all it does people need to appreciate Driffield and beyond are gaining in population, keep em local.....more charity shops aint gonna do it

"Have a great one"
"Have a great one"

Rod Hebblewhite

Post by Rod Hebblewhite » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:31 am

How about a decent Post office, instead of one at the back of a sweeet shop with no post box, since they closed the sub Post Office at the bottom of town there always seems to be a long queue, the last few times I've gone in there it's been so bad that I now go to Nafferton Post Office instead.

Post by Pete » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:49 am

Whilst I agree we don't really need any more charity shops in the town, Paul seems to think that it is the Town Council that is somehow *making* them come to town.
Surely the ex Heron shop is being leased by one of Driffield's (not very many) town centre landlords and has nothing to do with the Town Council.

Post by dbh1961 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:09 pm

When an area starts to decline, there are perfectly valid reasons why the charity shops move in.

For a traditional shopkeeper, the biggest expense is the commercial rates he pays the council. Even if the rent on the building is low, the rates still mean he needs high sales / income, to cover his costs.

For a charity, the biggest expense is the rent (because they pay reduced / nil rates). If they can get premises on a low rent (as they can in times of decline), then they can make it viable, even with low sales / income.

So in good times shopkeepers flourish and charity shops are priced out

In bad times, chrity shops flourish, and shopkeepers are priced out

- common sense once you know the reasoning

The answer to bringing back traditional shops DOES lie with the council:
1) Don't back down to teh supermarket big boys
2) Come up with schemes to reduce rates for traditional shops
- dbh1961 "This message has been made from 100% recycled pixels"

zoe j

Post by zoe j » Wed May 23, 2007 12:29 am

If and when the cattle market is developed is there going to be alternative car parking elsewhere. Like it or not some of us live in the outlying villages but like to do our shopping at Driffield. Public transport can't always be relied upon so a car journey is necessary.

The convenience of everything under one roof and adjacent car parking is one of the main attractions of the superstores,plus very helpful staff. Has anyone noticed how the staff in sokells are not as helpful as they used to be!!

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:31 am

Sorry, public transport can be relied upon at SOME time ?!!....hmmm, that's a thought, I was under the impression that it was less than useless but obviously not!!!

Post by apokalipse » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:56 pm

quote:Originally posted by Paul B
Well, sad Heron closed down, also sad yet another charity shop has taken over the premisis.

I thought the heron takeover was a move of premises for the charity that used to be in the building london bar is now in. that said there is a hell of a lot of charity shops in driffield.

Post by madmini » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Has anyone noticed how the staff in sokells are not as helpful as they used to be!!

Yep i have to agree, its not just the staff in Sokells , but there is a certain lady in Martin's newsagents who if smiled would crack her face lol and looks at her customers like they are dirt on her shoe. what ever happened to customer service with a smile