Cattle Market Redevelopment

Discussion about the controversial planning proposals for the land to the East of Middle Street which includes the former Driffield Cattle Market site
Paul B

Cattle Market Redevelopment

Post by Paul B » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:51 pm

Hi, Well here we have a "hot potato". What do we all think of the proposed redevelopment of the cattle market area? On a personal note I can see both sides of the argument, the current traders worry for their future but also Driffield could benefit from the development. On the whole I hope it goes ahead and the remains of the cattle market which is a source of problems is removed. What do you think?

"Have a great one"
"Have a great one"

Judith

Post by Judith » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:12 pm

Hi
My parents and I were only talking about the cattle market the other day. They used to know Driffield well and wondered if there still was a cattle market. Could you please let me know what's happening so that I can let them know. Many thanks.

Cherry Bomb

Post by Cherry Bomb » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:32 am

Hmmm unsure about this one. I don't think there should be any new shops but maybe a cinema bowling alley, and restaurants?

What the council have failed to tell people is that the redevelopment will cause the whole of Eastgate South to become double yellows, thats nice for the residents!

Any views?

DF

Post by DF » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:36 pm

I am not a Driffield resident, but have many ties with the town and we often pop over from Brid to shop, have coffee and lunch.
We chose the Bell for our Daughter's Wedding reception, in preference to any Bridlington establishment.
To me Driffield, like Malton, is a beautiful market town. I think it would be sacrilege to make it into a "supermarket town".
It is, of course, up to the residents to have their say. I only hope that the council listen.

DF

Cherry Bomb

Post by Cherry Bomb » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:54 am

I don't think the residents views matter to the council, never have in the past.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:54 pm

As long as it is not the 'community cinema' in their current plan. At the moment it is a room with a screen and 100 seats.
Maybe they should toddle along to the Forum in Bridlington and see how to make a couple of small cinemas work - and maybe a bowling alley too.

They are probably heavily subsidised there though by all the fools who constantly feed the fruit machines - would be interesting to know if the cinema side of things is viable on it's own.

Cherry Bomb

Post by Cherry Bomb » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:46 pm

Probably won't get anything like that the council are probably planning putting something new there , something Driff doesn't have like a charity shop, an estate agents and a hairdressers lets face it we really don't have enough of those do we!

Galadriel

Post by Galadriel » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:06 pm

What's also concerning is that to build a development of that size probably means the end of the free car park too, or most of it. I will probably go to have a look at the plans to get a better idea of how it's being worked out, the other big worry is how delivery vehicles will get down there. It's bad enough on most day's and would be worse with large vehicles trying to make their way to the proposed shops unless they do the same as with Wilko's and only let them deliver after a certain time.

apokalipse

Post by apokalipse » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:09 pm

I have often wondered if some of the bigger chains of cinema's and bowling alley's would have an interest in setting up a 'small shop' as i regularily go to kingswood to use the cineworld and hollywood bowl, and if it was on my doorstep i'd definately use it more than i do now. even if it was a pound or two more i'd not be too bothered as your looking at spending at least a fiver in fuel to get to kingswood and back and i could have a beer whilst bowling in driff not having the need to drive!