m & d railway

A forum for news, views, events and nostalgia for the project to help build and restore a Yorkshire Wolds Railway.
davep6

m & d railway

Post by davep6 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:58 am

hello every one i carnt beleve what iam reading as a child i played in the old deralict sledmear and fimber station my dream was to buy it and rebuld put a line in and shunt a train up and down. But that dream was smashed when one day i arived to find it gon a child dream destroyed . Now on and off as my children have grown up ive had a intrest in the old line ive walked most of it and have managed to find pic,s and a book on the subject ive even planed to buld a model railway of my old play ground but finding photo,s of the place is hard the bits fock dont normaly photograph if eny one can hellp i would aprishiate it . how can i get involved in the project to get the line up and runing it would be fab if this hapens.
P/S sorry for the bad spelling yours dave from york

dm
dm

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:51 am

Hi Dave,

The society is planning to have a stand at the 2009 Driffield Show on Wednesday 22nd July complete with a mini railway giving the public rides.

We also have a dedicated web forum at http://www.yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk/forum where you can register and contribute your comments.

Membership is ten pounds per year and we have monthly open meetings where ordinary members and the general public can come and visit and find out more about what we are about.

We usually have a welcome and introduction by the Chairman, guest speaker providing a presentation of some sort on the M & DJR plus raffle, coffee/tea break where people can mingle and get to know one another and question and answer session where visitors and ordinary members can ask committee members anything about current progress on the reopening plans.

The next open meeting is scheduled for Thursday 2nd July in Malton I think but please check the aforementioned web forum for up to the minute details.

Possibly see you at the Driffield Show! We will be located alongside the Enterprise tent.

Best Regards,
Secretary, Yorkshire Wolds Railway Restoration Project.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Did you see on the One Show that money is being made available for village projects- is there anyway that your project might benifit villages( I'm sure it would) along the restored line? Just a thought. They have done the same up in Wensley Dale as I guess you know.

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:49 pm

That's one of the elements Plook. The idea is to be mutually beneficial. The Yorkshire Wolds Railway Restoration Project requires the support of local businesses, authorities and landowners but in turn we want to bring in more visitors and their associated spending power as opposed to just seeing all those tourists speed through East Yorkshire but not actually stop off along the way!

Think how a rebuilt piece of the Malton to Driffield route could tie in with Sledmere House, the Fimber picnic site and even the pubs and shops in Wetwang and Sledmere villages.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:22 pm

It would be lovely. I know that there are a lot of interested people but is there anyone from the Wenslydale railway comming to your meetings?

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:15 pm

We have people who have worked on that line but also have members who work at both the Derwent Valley Railway and the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway as well as railways abroad.

plook
Valued Member

Post by plook » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:34 am

Well you are sorted then. I hope you achieve your goals. What about that creepy Bedale Tunnel is that before or after Sledmere- I think its after. Is there any chance of getting past that?

Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:22 am

Ultimately, that would be something that only a reputable civil engineering contractor could tell you.